Auto Switch for dust extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andypo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All.

Has anybody got any ideas on how to make a switch or purchase (not the axminster one as way too expensive) that will start up a portable dust extraction unit when a power tool is turned on. I see from looking on the web that these are available in the states for under £20 but of course they wont work over here. Im looking for something that will send power to the dust extractor once you power up the power tool. I did think that maybe one of those energy saving plugs may work but not sure.
Any advice appreciated cheers Andy.

Hi thanks for advice i tried a eon energy one that i got through post....... is there a delay on yours as my dust extractor takes about 15 secs to start up. Which ones do you use cheers Andy.

Hi, replied by PM to clear up possible confusion (mine).
There's no delay on mine, they're rated at 3KW but.... they do not have a memory facility, which is a bit annoying but not that great an issue.

Mine is a Masterplug about £15 from B&Q has about a 2 or 3 second delay on start up and the same on overrun.

I run my main extractor on a remote switch. Want something that auto starts as soon as I turn power tool on like the festtool extractor but without the silly price.. I know mcallister used to do a vac with this feature but I already have a good vac and want to utilize this there must be a way to do it the eon energy saver does work but the 15 secs waiting for it to start the extractor is a long time

Hudson Carpentry":37cbftr2 said:
Never thought about one of them remote control socket adapters. I suspect there IR remotes? If so will be no use to me.
Mine are radio frequency I think, no line of sight needed.

I have a makita vac with this built in, and i attached the input to a 6 way bar, and the vacuum to a tube / blast gate system, so every tool i turn on starts the vac, and i have no pipes to connect. this may seem over the top for you, and i thought the same, however i reckon it saves me hours per month, and therefore maybe one working week in a year. Imagine what you could make with an extra 5 days!

Dope. I just brought a set from your link and realised I have a DOL on my extractor which needs to be pressed for on. There is no permanent on option (hammer) (homer)

Hudson Carpentry":165539vs said:
Dope. I just brought a set from your link and realised I have a DOL on my extractor which needs to be pressed for on. There is no permanent on option (hammer) (homer)
:lol:

Ah well, they'll come in handy for the house.

Hi all and cheers 9fingers but this is not what Im after (although very good info as usual) Im after a switch that recognizes when a hand power tool is switched on/off and automatically turns on/off a shop vac. The eon energy saver does do this but when i power up a router it takes about 15 seconds before the shop vac turns on. Shutting off is not a problem.

I am not after a remote control my main cyclone is operated via this. Thanks Andy

Back