Auger Bit File

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
Auger Bit Files .. how much?!

I saw an old post on here that workshop heaven stocked them, but that was years ago and they don't seem to any more.

I don't have any needle files, but what about emery boards? Diamond nail files? Any other alternatives? Lolly stick with wet+dry glued on!

Or should I just shut up and go buy the proper thing?!

I've been buying good condition used augers on ebay for a max of about £5/6 each, so paying four times as much for a fancy-ass-file seems a little extravagant! Especially as I'm still deep in the noob-spending-curve!

Thanks again in advance for the forum's patient and generous advice.

Hi Tony, I've seen those, like I said, 4 times the cost of bits so I was querying cheaper/readily available alternatives, or whether really the real thing was the only way to go.

Hi, I've always used a small fine triangular file to dress the spur and cutting edge of augers, just have to take a bit of care not to let the corner of the file to cut in. Amazon if all else fails £5 to £10.

I had a similar difficulty spending that kind of money plus P&P from Germany. But when I reasoned it out, for 40+ Augers it seemed justifiable.

I equated it to the kind of money my EZE-LAPS cost V's a single chisel, then multiplied the chisels....voilà

Go on.......... you know its inevitable, and it works so well. :D

P.S. you might have a similar when sharpening solid nose augers, fine file or diamonds.... :?:

Well, I wouldn't do an order for just the one file, but there are always other things you like the look of ... they have a few new augurs of the old style left, e.g.

What do you expect to find cheaper than 10€ ? :|

Mine cost £13, 6 years ago, and had to come from the USA.
Look after it, you'll probably not need another.

Bod

I have been thinking about ordering one of these:

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/sto ... r_Bit_File

But as a single item the postage is a bit steep, however they did reply and said that if I could buy a few then the cost per file comes down markedly.

Dieter Schmidt's one is cheaper but don't know the make or quality, guessing it can't be bad if he's selling it.

Perhaps we ought to think about attempting a group forum buy if any interest?

P.S I found out the hard way why such a file is better - the safe edge is called it for a reason - my small flat file's edge behaved naughtily and took some out of an old auger in a place that it shouldn't have.

A set of diamond needle files is worth having.
Good for auger bits and also for moulding planes. Mine are 4 in a pack, branded Trend. Bought at a show, for not much.

Do understand it's not that I'm a total miser, it's that I must have spent the equivalent of the GDP of Uzbekistan on hand tools this year - according to a certain someone, anyway.

So it's inevitable is it?!

Well I could use my credit card, intercept the statement from postie, and burn it at the bottom of the garden...

Probably wasn't the right thing to do then, suggesting you buy some other stuff as well to make the delivery charge seem more reasonable :oops: :lol:

NickN":tog0dc1o said:
I found out the hard way why such a file is better - the safe edge is called it for a reason - my small flat file's edge behaved naughtily and took some out of an old auger in a place that it shouldn't have.

There's no reason why you can't make an edge safe - just grind it off.

Sheffield Tony":wl365lw8 said:
Probably wasn't the right thing to do then, suggesting you buy some other stuff as well to make the delivery charge seem more reasonable :oops: :lol:

It's alright Tony, I'm not a rich guy but I'm not in the danger zone. I try to be careful but you're right, it's when the damn delivery charge equals the value of the tool, it's just feels wrong!

Would there be any interest in Fancy Italian iridium Auger Bit Files if I grabbed a few to split postage? of course, this would require the full credit card statement incineration plan. I reckon I could land an extra 2 or 3 for around £17 posted back out.

phil.p":22al91gt said:
NickN":22al91gt said:
I found out the hard way why such a file is better - the safe edge is called it for a reason - my small flat file's edge behaved naughtily and took some out of an old auger in a place that it shouldn't have.

There's no reason why you can't make an edge safe - just grind it off.

Good point, it may yet come to that, but,

DigitalM":22al91gt said:
Would there be any interest in Fancy Italian iridium Auger Bit Files if I grabbed a few to split postage? of course, this would require the full credit card statement incineration plan. I reckon I could land an extra 2 or 3 for around £17 posted back out.

Yes, definitely - I have quite a few auger bits to sharpen! If you go for this method and it's fairly soon put me down for one, please.

The Dieter Schmidt versions are good quality, I use them myself and they work fine.

If you don't want to spend the postage then make a mental note and next time you order something from Dieter add one of these to the order. in the meantime stick some abrasive paper on shaped wood or plastic, that's what I did when auger files were unobtainable for a few years, or if you've got the right shaped slip stones use those. The important thing is to recognise that most drill bits respond well to touch up sharpening, little and often, so one way or another it's something you pretty much have to have a solution for.

Good luck!

custard":1wcwxzcu said:
The Dieter Schmidt versions are good quality, I use them myself and they work fine.

If you don't want to spend the postage then make a mental note and next time you order something from Dieter add one of these to the order. in the meantime stick some abrasive paper on shaped wood or plastic, that's what I did when auger files were unobtainable for a few years, or if you've got the right shaped slip stones use those. The important thing is to recognise that most drill bits respond well to touch up sharpening, little and often, so one way or another it's something you pretty much have to have a solution for.

Good luck!

where can you get the schmidt files in the UK? I could do with one of them, would be really useful.

thetyreman":m8e1a47x said:
custard":m8e1a47x said:

Good luck!

where can you get the schmidt files in the UK? I could do with one of them, would be really useful.

I'm about to order some well reviewed Italian ones if you can hang on a few days.

thetyreman":2dmb6ayr said:
custard":2dmb6ayr said:

Just order them online direct. At present, shopping from suppliers in other EU countries is as quick and convenient as it is in the UK, with harmonised consumer protection legislation and no customs duties to pay.

Back