Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Charley, CHJ, Noel

By delaney001
woodbloke66 wrote:
thetyreman wrote:
nice job on that project Rob, looks immaculate to me =D>

Thanks, much appreciated. This was the first job I'd done in Olive Ash and whilst much was well figured, there were some boards that were proper ash coloured so I decided not to take any chances and go for a finish that would guarantee that the wood's colour wouldn't 'alter' over time.

There were about five coats if I recollect correctly, rubbed down between each with 0000grade wire wool and then thoroughly vacuumed before the next was applied. The final coat was rubbed back and then waxed. The beauty of using an acrylic finish is that each coat dried hard within 30mins so there's no faffing around waiting for stuff to dry - Rob

That’s great, thanks for the info. Very nervous about finishing, being working on this thing for 3 months now!
By delaney001
marcros wrote:What about a soap finish? I saw it on some chairs and it looked v nice, v matt and worthy of research.

I haven't used it myself so all I can recommend is further research. Don't take my suggestion as a recommendation for just doing it!!

I’ll look that up now cheers, haven’t heard of it before.

I like the disclaimer =D> =D>
By delaney001
Ya sure thing. I used West Epoxy systems. Purchased online, its not cheap but it seems to be one of the best ones in terms of reviews. I think i got the hard setting hardener. I also went with clear epoxy, i was hoping to put some colouring into it, just something dark so as not to stand out - nothing too bright and gammy.
Mixing it is straight forward, i used two dishes and a basic weighing scales. Hard to gauge how much you will need, but sure like anything, give it a go and youll learn for the next time.
I made one big mistake in the pour, i moved a bit slowly and i had it in a narrow deep bowl. After 15 minutes going around the board, pouring into any little void that I could find, it started to heat in the bowl. You have to keep it very shallow, in what your mixing it in and what you pour it into, if its deep the heat has nowhere to escape and it will start to go off in your hand. So the first pour of the big cavity at the end, i poured in about an inch deep and that heated and discoloured (clouded) a little. After that i did lots of little pours, maybe half inch in depth at a time. That worked fine. The last thing is to burn off the top with a blow torch. I did this about 15 minutes after each pour and its very easy, nothing too it. Just flash the heat across the surface and it will go like glass afterwards. You can also prick any little bubbles that are presisting and the liquid will fill in around it.

Its very stressful and you need to have everything ready, but if you can do that e.g. mixing station, scales, gloves, torch(with candle) and all the splits/gaps taped up, then it will be fine.