Are pipe clamps a thing in the UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim S

Reaction score
I've seen some recommendations online from American woodworkers for pipe clamps but I can't seem to find them in the UK.
The idea is you buy the two ends of the clamp mechanism and then get the tubular bar section separately. They are meant to be cheaper than regular sash clamps.

I have seen them here, but the type of black pipe they use in the US is not common here so they have not had the same kind of influx.

Like many I was brought up on heavy t-bar clamps, but then saw the light and used the Record M130 clamp heads with 3ft and 5ft timber bars for many years.
I then discovered the American pipe clamps and was converted. I have 10 off Axminster units on 3/4" galvanised gas barrel [about 1" outside diameter], along with another 10 off genuine {American] Pony units I bought for a good price from a UK dealer who was clearing stock.
I sourced some lengths of pipe from a scrap yard and the rest from a plumbers merchant along with extension couplers. A plumber friend lent me the dies to cut the threads required.
If you can source the Pony then get them, but the Axi are a good attempt at matching the well engineered Pony originals and I am happy with both.

Colin

I don't know the exact diameter required, but any good steel stockist should be able to get you a suitable pipe in the ERW (Electric Resistance Welded) range of tubing.
Buy a standard 6 meter stock length and make a range of sizes, and you can get it in self colour.

The piping is readily available from plumbers merchants, my plumber got me a load of them and kindly threaded them for me.

Rod

The pipe is commoner here than the clamps heads.

I bought some back with me from the USA. I think that they were bessey ones and were really cheap in Lowe's or home depot over there.

Do I recall correctly that Pony are gone?
Or did they just stop making the clamp head sets.
Some bad reviews of the Axi versions on the site, but they could have just have been heavy handed folk
Plenty of luthiers use them for joining plates
Thanks for giving me the correct terminology of the suitable pipe
Tom

I could only find one bad review, by someone trying to use 25mm pipe instead of 3/4", the pipe supplied by Axminster although expensive works excellently.

Mike

As above - beware of bad reviews. I read one of a chainsaw getting one star ............ because the guy had to go out and get petrol for it. :D I tend to look more at the three and four star ones - this is a really good product, except for ...

A set of 4 pipe clamps Here for £26.89

Watch this excellent YouTube

Look at links on the youtube

A set of 4 Bessey threequarter inch pipe clamps is £80.00 including post and import duty from USA to England

My guess is the eBay ones are Chinese copies; no idea of quality
Hope this helps

eribaMotters":39ct8159 said:
Like many I was brought up on heavy t-bar clamps, but then saw the light and used the Record M130 clamp heads with 3ft and 5ft timber bars for many years......

Me too. I'm still using old type M130s on 50mm x 25mm x 3mm mild steel box section.

arcflup":emnsdkgj said:
eribaMotters":emnsdkgj said:
Like many I was brought up on heavy t-bar clamps, but then saw the light and used the Record M130 clamp heads with 3ft and 5ft timber bars for many years......

Me too. I'm still using old type M130s on 50mm x 25mm x 3mm mild steel box section.

How does box steel compare do a decent length of wood? A few off mine the wood is getting a bit iffy after years of abuse so could do with some new bars of some sort.

I have Bessey pipe clamps, 3/4". One of the best investments in the workshop. I bought them from Germany.

I like Bessey clamps, because they have feet, and are so convenient to work with.

There are some copies, sold on ebay.co.uk, same as bessey, which I think they come from the same factory where Bessey are made, and I think that they are basically the same ones.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-3-4-Cast ... 0033.m2042

If someone wants Pony type, I think this is the best offer in UK, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Pack-3-4-W ... 2699511575

I find them much sturdier they don't bend like the old timber rails did. Have a look on ebay the box sectioned can be had for £12ish per metre delivered; I'd recommend getting a metre or two and experimenting.

arcflup":36flawmi said:
I find them much sturdier they don't bend like the old timber rails did. Have a look on ebay the box sectioned can be had for £12ish per metre delivered; I'd recommend getting a metre or two and experimenting.

Thanks. Not a problem getting 6m lengths as I am buying metals from time to time. Do you paint the steel or treat it anyway?

Beau":qtfmdwf2 said:
arcflup":qtfmdwf2 said:

Thanks. Not a problem getting 6m lengths as I am buying metals from time to time. Do you paint the steel or treat it anyway?

Spray can automotive primer and topcoat.

Back