anyone used a Gas powered hot melt glue gun?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil, 12mm sticks are not a problem i have a tec 305 which uses 12mm and i have a good selection available.
i think i found their website a couple of years ago from link you posted up, i bought the 305-12 kit and its been excellent

I can't vouch for the quality of the gas powered gun in your link, but the one I bought from Lidl a few months back is disappointing.....It just doesn't seem capable to melt the glue at the same rate compared with a relatively cheap 240v one that I have been using previously. Both guns use 12mm glue sticks.
For what I use it for, the cordless feature would be a real bonus....!

I have one of these, or at least I did until yesterday when I sent it back for repair.

Actually, this is on balance a positive report. I have had the glue gun for about 5 years - it is only used on and off and it failed just last week when it developed an internal leak of glue and then failed to ignite. The company does an exchange deal where they replace for about 2/3rds the cost of a new one ( I await the service assessment of it). I am not saying I am happy with the thing failing (I’m not), but the advantages of a cordless glue gun over a corded one make this a very useful tool.

I used to have a supposedly high output corded glue gun (from Screwfix I think) and it did ok, but the output was always frustrating and the lead was always too short or got in the way; it also leaked internally.

The Gas-Tec 600 glue gun the OP linked to was about the only one of its kind I found available. The first one I was sent was returned for exchange because the ignition was very unreliable. The replacement has been better, although the ignition can still take half a dozen clicks.

Heat up takes about 5 minutes, I guess (you can tell by the glow light going darker).

Output is good I would say. I use the glue gun for all sorts of things around the workshop, eg sundry jigs and templates, most of which do not require a very high output - one thing that does need higher output is when I occasionally reconstruct cardboard boxes to send things or store things - the output keeps up pretty well for this task.

So we will see what the service department comes up with, but I am looking forward to having it back!

I hope that helps

Cheers

Distinterior":1k8r0tvt said:
I can't vouch for the quality of the gas powered gun in your link, but the one I bought from Lidl a few months back is disappointing.....It just doesn't seem capable to melt the glue at the same rate compared with a relatively cheap 240v one that I have been using previously. Both guns use 12mm glue sticks.

I have the lidl one too and it is great. I don't use it professionally, or for hours at a time but for a few jobs here and there it does fine. I would replace with the same if it broke.

the guys who built foam board model planes use hot melt for everything (I do mean everything, they tend to have a lot of kids), most are now going over to battery powered guns for field work as they are more reliable than gas, or so I'm told. it maybe worth a look, I believe Ryobi (yes I know, cheap rubbish, but this is meant to be an excellent tool) do one, I think it's 11mm sticks though.

sorry for being completely off topic.
I used a gas powered unit at a show a while back to build a foam core boat with a mate (helping him out), I wasn't that impressed, it took a good 5 minutes to get hot, had to be kept lit at all times so must cost a fortune in gas and it dribbled like a 2 year olds nose. once it was hot it did the job though.

Distinterior":2f2ubbso said:

It's not surprising you have had problems with the Lidl glue gun if you have been using 12mm sticks it is designed to use 11mm sticks.

powertools":d21iqk5t said:
Distinterior":d21iqk5t said:

It's not surprising you have had problems with the Lidl glue gun if you have been using 12mm sticks it is designed to use 11mm sticks.

=D>
Hands Up......I checked today, and they are 11mm sticks not 12mm.

Seriously though, my gas powered gun is disappointing.
I read above that Marcros is happy with his, so maybe it's my technique that's at fault.....Is there a technique in using a glue gun..? I use mine for temporarily gluing MRMDF blocks to Solid Surface material whilst clamping and waiting for the 2 pack adhesive to cure.
The 240v one and the adhesive holds fine but the gas powered one, more than half the blocks fell off at the 1st clamping attempt...!!!

To be honest, having read a post further up mine doesn't dribble, but it takes a few mins to heat up and needs to be kept lit. I had assumed that this was normal. Maybe it isn't as good as an electric one, but cordless and for occasional use, I still maintain it is fab!

I have recently got a Ryobi one+ battery jobbie. Cheap rubbish? Not as far as I can see. It works really well and heats up quite quickly. Not too sure about the through put as I don't normally do big jobs with it, but I would recommend it!

I have never used hot glue on any of my RC model gliders, including the one I have just finished? I don't think anyone in my club does either, but the noisy smelly blokes might? :shock:

Back