Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By J-G
Of course !

At least 40% of my workshop time is used to make tools or jigs for the real job :)

I sometimes even make a jig to make a tool to make a jig :)

If you are thinking about making special size drills or drill-counterbores etc. you'd be wise to get some silver-steel which can be easily machined and hardened by heating with a blow-torch and then quenching in water.
By Prizen
J-G wrote:Of course !

At least 40% of my workshop time is used to make tools or jigs for the real job :)

I sometimes even make a jig to make a tool to make a jig :)

If you are thinking about making special size drills or drill-counterbores etc. you'd be wise to get some silver-steel which can be easily machined and hardened by heating with a blow-torch and then quenching in water.

I'd be really interested to find out more on what types of jigs you make? Thanks
By Trevanion
I always find myself having to make new parts on the lathe for my woodworking machines because something has gone and broke #-o

It's a godsend really in that regard.
By Rorschach
Prizen wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Yep all the time.

Like what?

Pins, bushing, re-grinder tools, tool handles, screws, nuts, prep stock, drill things, tap things, thread things. I have made custom drill bits, reamers, decorative caps. Thousands of items over the years. There is a rarely a woodwork or DIY job I don't do without the lathe.
By Rorschach
Prizen wrote:That's an impressive list. My Imagination is a limitation, I can understand bushes for routers for example, but struggling to connect the rest!

When you have a lathe you start solving problems using it.

Recent job, I needed to drill some holes at a specific angle. I had the angle already drilled in a piece of wood, but the hole I needed to drill was smaller than the hole already in the wood. So I went to the lathe, turned a piece of scrap to the same size as the current hole, then drilled through it in the size of the small hole. That gave me a custom drill bushing to allow me to drill the hole accurately.

Re: Drill bits, I have made my own D-drills is custom sizes, I have also made my own tapered drills and stepped drills on the lathe. I have made many tool handles on the lathe as well.
By J-G
Prizen wrote:I'd be really interested to find out more on what types of jigs you make? Thanks

Jigs are little more than work-holding / locating tools. As Rorschach has said, Pins and Bushing come to mind but spacers, Tee-nuts, clamps and special screws (often sholdered) are in the mix.
Last edited by J-G on 18 Mar 2019, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
By PaddyRedman
I had both wood turning lather a small bench top Clarke metal lathe. Wood lathe got moved to the loft as the metal lathe took over most of the turning duties as its a lot more accurate and combined with making metal parts for jigs, remming parts down to suit and making one off parts for my motorbike projects, its a god send.
By CHJ
Prizen wrote:Hi all

Considering a benchtop metal lathe for fun more than anything else. Thought I might ask if anybody uses one to make fixtures tooling or jigs to use in their woodworking?

All the time, it's a major support tool
By Prizen
CHJ wrote:
Prizen wrote:Hi all

Considering a benchtop metal lathe for fun more than anything else. Thought I might ask if anybody uses one to make fixtures tooling or jigs to use in their woodworking?

All the time, it's a major support tool

Some nice work there. Well done.