Anyone taped internal OSB joints?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pord

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a suitable tape to seal up OSB joints lining the inside of a workshop please? Ideally something suitable for painting.

It's hard to think of any kind of tape as a long-term solution.

I'd join the voters for caulk of some description - acrylic-based ones are usually overpaintable.

Cheers, W2S

There's no such thing. If there were, flat strips at every join in contrast to the rough faced OSB would look a damn site worse than some minor gaps between boards.

Thanks for the replies.

The aim is to seal the interior of the building (see my workshop build forum post elsewhere). I'd like to avoid using strips of mouldings, purely for the look. Caulking is a reasonable option but I still prefer the idea of a tape, which would cover a wider area in one application. I've found a tape called Pavafix that seems to fit the bill but is pricey. The search continues for now...

Paintable silicone if you're not happy with caulk. Or buy a bearing guided biscuit joint cutter and glue a tongue in between each board.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bradshaw Joinery":1ty66g9b said:
why not use a vapour barrier behind the osb as a seal?

Because that would be completely unnecessary. The OSB acts as a vapour barrier. All the glue used in its manufacture make it very resistant to the passage of water vapour.

-

I'm still at a loss as to what problem is going to be solved by taping joints. Is this aesthetics, or some sort of perceived issue with the wall's acoustic, thermal, vapour or insulating performance perhaps?

I dug up a couple of my old photos from a long-dead and never-finished workshop thread I started.. oops. :oops:

Acrylic filler in place:

BUOaGW7.jpg

Starting the painting, shows the filled result and looks pretty tidy in the end:

FpD9CTH.jpg

No doubt that tape might be quicker to apply but I think visually it would have a high chance of looking worse, and physically for sealing, the filler does the same job as the tape would. I did use a vapour barrier behind my OSB too, something seems to have worked as my dehumidifer is switched on 24/7 but only needs emptying about five times a year!

Thanks NickN, that looks like a good option.

Yes, the OSB is the vapour barrier. I'm following the forum advice of Ian ('Hornbeam') to seal the OSB as best as possible to further minimise the passage of vapour into the roof cavity (profile metal sheet roof).

By the way MikeG, just wanted to say thanks for your extensive build posts here and elsewhere. Hugely informative and inspiring.

I´v used Siga tape on OSB joints and around windows and doors to make a sealed joint on passive houses. But its not a finished surface, after testing, the walls are plated up with plasterboard and that is your finished surface.

I have been told that 3m all weather flashing tape will do the same job but, I´v never used it, so I can´t say wether it does or not. HTH

Thanks Billy. That 3m tape looks the business but doesn't appear to be available in the UK. I went to order some from Amazon but it was going take several weeks to arrive. Not sure why this type of product isn't more prevalent here?

This can be used for the osb junction, not sure if it's over paintable though url=https://www.dortechdirect.co.uk/illbruck-me317-internal-membrane-tape.html

The Illbruck membrane tape looks quicker, easier and more effective than caulk. Plus at £16 for 40m it must compare pretty well on cost too.

Back