ANYONE MADE THEIR OWN LONG BORER

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnold9801

Established Member
Reaction score
Like most woodworkers, I have huge pleasure in not just making things out of wood but equally in making tools as well. Subsequently I am interested in making a long hole borer for my wood turning/lathe.

Having not made one before , I was wondering if anyone has gone down this road and made one from from round metal bar?

Would like to know!

Regards

Arnold9801

DSC02754.JPG

More discussion here

This has got me thinking as I need a longer auger to use on the VB36, any thoughts on extending a standard auger, is welding accurate enough, and what steel to use?

Jonzjob":14n40g76 said:
Mine is pretty well the same as yours Chas. But yours is a lip & spur isn't it? ...

Yes I find Lip and Spur don't wander as much following grain.

Lazurus":14n40g76 said:
This has got me thinking as I need a longer auger to use on the VB36, any thoughts on extending a standard auger, is welding accurate enough, and what steel to use?

I align mine by drilling a socket in the rod and turning a tenon to suit on the drill, then silver solder.

Other folks just silver solder end to end by laying drill and rod in a section of angle iron to align.

Mild steel rod is adequate.

Back