Anyone ever made a sofa?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewRedStars

Established Member
Reaction score
I need a new sofa. Looking at a modern corner one. But that's going to cost me a grand. And I have all the kit to make something.

Assuming I can find an upholsterer to do the foam and covers, I'm guessing it'll be very easy to make a simple frame (with nice timber legs). S'all just boxes innit.

Anyone tried it? Are upholsterers expensive? More hassle than it's worth?

Something like:
vimle-corner-sofa-5-seat-gunnared-medium-grey__0514335_pe639424_s4.jpg

Very easy to make, but you wont get it anywhere near to £1k. An upholsterers would charge your around 2-3k + for that size.

Assuming you don't have free foam and fabric on hand, there is no way you can make a sofa for less than a grand.

I've just had some new sofa seat and back cushions made for our Static caravan, total cost of £775.00.
judging by your picture it looks about the same size, we chose a mid range material, and good quality foam, best quality foam was a lot more.

You could make something like this with some off the shelf cushions...
282619421015f7a6a554b8c9ecfcef11.jpg

Attachments

• 282619421015f7a6a554b8c9ecfcef11.jpg
    282619421015f7a6a554b8c9ecfcef11.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 304
I have never bought a settee I have always made them, this is Mk4.

DSC_0008-2 by Racers, on Flickr

DSC_0005-2 by Racers, on Flickr

DSC_0006 by Racers, on Flickr

Its a simple frame with bolt on arms it makes it a lot easer to get round corners.

It cost £1800 to upholster it with fabric rated as heavy domestic use, I made it in 2011 and it still looks good.

15th October by Racers, on Flickr

If you make one your self it will be exactly what you want and be unique.

Pete

I've got a home made settee very like Pete's and similar colour cushions!
Mines a bit crude in comparison being made of cheap blockboard with no solid wood. The bottom is a box with hinged lids for bedding, so it turns into a single bed for visitors.
My wife sewed the cushions so the overall cost was low.
Ikea would be a lot cheaper but ours will last much longer.

Surely the big risk here is that you could sink a lot of time and money into the project, only to find that the finished sofa is not comfortable.
When I have gone shopping for a sofa, I don't like most of what's on offer, but at least I can find out first.

What's the chance of getting it right first time?

(This is also the reason why I have an old sofa frame as a wood rack in the workshop - I stripped it, planning to recover it, but realised it might be an uncomfortable disappointment, so never finished it.)

If you take measurements from an existing one (or even one in a shop) you can get it right first time.

Pete

AndyT":26pxmwoc said:
Surely the big risk here is that you could sink a lot of time and money into the project, only to find that the finished sofa is not comfortable.
When I have gone shopping for a sofa, I don't like most of what's on offer, but at least I can find out first.

What's the chance of getting it right first time?

(This is also the reason why I have an old sofa frame as a wood rack in the workshop - I stripped it, planning to recover it, but realised it might be an uncomfortable disappointment, so never finished it.)
You are safe with foam cushions on a simple wooden frame or base as long as the basic geometry is sensible. Take some measurements from an IKEA example.
In fact I find heavily upholstered/sprung sofas and chairs uncomfortable - you sink in and have to call nurse to get you out!

Catching up on my film studies and spotted this colourful sofa. I'm all for it! Sorry couldn't find an image without the leggy birds

Attachments

• sofa.jpg
    sofa.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 122
If you actually want to save money there is often no end of second hand sofas on facebook local sites. A lot of people find corner sofas too big and get rid early on

Back