Anybody made a coffin?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My father's hearse!
He was known for being a wheeler dealer so I thought that it was fitting to drive him myself in his beloved Volvo and load it up like he was well known for.
During the hours drive I was pulled by the police six times.
The furniture was all screwed together as one big piece and well tied down. Looked dangerous but well secure and the plod were happy with it. And when they saw what I was carrying in the rear they soon moved me on!

I turned an urn for a friend, hollowed it out put the ashes in then glued the top on and re turned it.
My mum passed away recently and left strict instructions for no pomp and ceremony and for the family to be as thrifty as possible. If I'd known the prices undertakers charge I would have made a coffin myself, I probably would of hired a van also. :D I know she would be horrified to know we paid daft money to travel 1/2 mile.

I want to make my own coffin. Nothing fancy. When I was on a 'hand tool only' kick, a few years back, I decided I want to make one using hand power only.

I haven't started yet, but if other projects are anything to go by - I won't be able to die until I'm 147...

Cheers, Vann.

there was a discussion on the radio last week price of funerals and their was someone phoned in not sure if bought or homemade but after her husband was creamated she got the coffin back and has it in the loft for its next use it seems not all crems burn body and coffin together

Jamied":28w0woqq said:

My father's hearse!
He was known for being a wheeler dealer so I thought that it was fitting to drive him myself in his beloved Volvo and load it up like he was well known for.
During the hours drive I was pulled by the police six times.
The furniture was all screwed together as one big piece and well tied down. Looked dangerous but well secure and the plod were happy with it. And when they saw what I was carrying in the rear they soon moved me on!

Didn't understand until I saw the picture below it. Brilliant! simply brilliant. Hope it brought a few smiles to the day

Surprised that crems state no metal apart from the handles which might be removable aren't there fancy screws to hold the top on to stop escape?

Did here a story a few years ago about someone who built a chipboard coffin for a friend, when it was occupied it was put on the roof rack and parked outside the pub for a farewell drink on the way to the crem.

My dad and Grandfather used to make coffins as a side line to building and repairing wooden boats. They had a shed in the village which was always called the coffin shop. In fact still called that even though there hasn't been a coffin made there since the late 70's. I used to like going up there and helping as a school kid.

No need for more complicated toe pincher, rectangular one good enough and would make better shelves. Under crem rules, no need for coffin anyway, body bag with plank under the corpse is allowed.

We have friends who run an old time hardware store. They are also the local undertakers. The coffins are made in a workshop that hasn't changed in 100 years. It is a treasure trove of old (and neglected tools). Nowadays the coffins are bought as kits and assembled. The coffins I see are cheap veneered chipboard. the brass fittings are gilded plastic. I guess the plastic is some sort that is OK to burn, cos I dont think they are removed beforehand. Pretty sure that they using metal screws and fixings, though I am not certain on that.

Latest posts

Back