Anybody here download music legally or otherwise?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
I've done a bit of music downloading here and there, not much, only stuff that I bought as vinyls years age etc.
Anyway, I welcomed the chance to do it legally with the announcement that Napster were starting up in the UK. Idownloaded the software and got ready to sign on to download songs for 99p each. Then I found that you have to pay £10 per month to subscribe :shock: . I thought I would do the 7day free trial anyway, read though the rules and found you can only play the songs that youve downloaded for as long as you continue to subscribe :shock: :shock: :shock:
It's no wonder that people do illegal peer to peer downloading when they are faced with this kind of money-grabbing nonsense
Any comments?
John

emule, kazaa, easynews etc.

Not that I would ever consider such a thing of course - besides there's no quicker way to get a virus, which is why, if you contemplate any such thing, you need a rotten old computer that is totally separate from anything you value.

I tried a couple of the pay per track services and could never find anything I wanted on them. They all claim half a million discs but I think most of them are ones nobody wants to listen to.

I'd wait a couple of months apples IPOD site is supposed to be good - and Sony are starting one up, as are a couple of other big venders.

Adam

John

You can easily record your old vinyl to CD or MP3

I have about 450 vinyl albums from mine and my wife's formative years and I simply plug a cable between my amplifier tape output connector and my laptop's audio input.
Get the levels right and record as WAV, convert to WMA or MP3 and burn to CD or dump in to your IPOD (I prefer the the Creative NOMAD as my 40GB model cost £100 less than a 15GB IPOD!!)

Never tried to use these download sites

Cheers

Tony

Allegedly Emule is very good. Just search, then download full albums without the tedious piecemeal effort. Allegedly. So I was told. :wink:

As to vinyl, yes, it's easy enough to turn them into MP3s. On the other hand, it's just as easy to burn them to CDR, and the quality's far superior to anything but the highest of MP3 bitrates.

If you download midi music there does not seem tobe any hassle with the recording companies.
You can always then add your own vocals.
If this presents problems install a vocal harmoniser these put your pitch in tune to the melody line. I'm sure some professionals do it!!!

Hi folks

If you copy vinyl to computer, you risk getting 'feedback' (sorry, I don't know the correct term :? ) if you use the same power supply for both your turntable and computer. It happened to me, so I connected the turntable to a power source on an extension lead from a different room. End of problem.

Yours

Gill

In total I've downloaded about 200Gb of the stuff, as to where it all came from, I can't remember off hand :D

These days I create my own tracks using the excellent Ejay software, simple fast and fun but requires spare time which is thin on the ground atm ;) http://www.ejay.co.uk

Nobody commented on my posting suggesting "midi music downloads"

Windows Media player will play midi music if members do not have any specific midi software programs. Also it is possible to obtain free midi software off the web (basic)

I play midi music through my yamaha keyboard and obtain hifi quality.
Also my keyboard will let me make many more modifications to a piece of music than would be possible with most hifi equipment. Change instruments, input my own vocal etc.
Anyone not familar about midi I would be pleased to reply.

My son uses WinMX for all his music.
I think it's rediculous what they want you to pay.
99p a song was mentioned within the last 2 weeks.
This makes it far more expensive than buying the CD Album.

Latest posts

Back