Any Kity 513 owners here? My new toy....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarG

Established Member
Reaction score
I was tempted to get a new Charnwood machine but heeded the advice of my more knowledgeable woodworking buddies and went for a second hand machine, it's old but seems in great condition. It's not that much bigger than my old Record 250 but has double the power and seems reassuringly heavy for it's size! Got it on ebay from a lovely fella who had a wonderful collection of old tools. Showed me an Atlas pillar drill from the 1940s that was built like a battleship!

Ain't she pretty?!

2ns0ygj.jpg

I'm a little puzzled by the dust extraction ports though, they're on the base.

2iktqua.jpg

The pic above shows it sitting on a dedicated box but to me that seems a waste of potential storage space. I was hoping to sit this on a chest of drawers like this..

25f3hx0.jpg

So I'm torn between making some sort of dust extration box that goes between the machine and the drawers or possibly making something that sits underneath the table (looks like loads of space) and trying to get the dust before it reaches bottom of machine.

For any 513 owners, how do you do the dust extraction?

I own a Kity 613 and from your photos it looks similar.
Although you can't buy them new anymore if you can find a good second hand one as it seems you have in my opinion you would not get a better saw at an affordable price.
Mine sits on a table with a hole cut below the hole on the bottom of the saw that I connect my shop vac to and it collects most of the dust.

Likewise have a 613 and yes they look the same in all respects that matter.
I've installed mine in just the same way as you propose. In line with a workbench.
I haven't yet solved the dust extraction problem as I've not had the saw long. Right now I'm storing 4 toolboxes underneath the shelf that it stands on and don't have room to take a hose downwards.

My two ideas are just like yours :
Retrofit the nozzle of a shop vac immediately below the table to try and pull dust away before it goes into the lower wheel box. Shop vacs make good suction at close range and if you can close in around the blade / lower guides.
Make the "shelf" that supports the saw hollow, maybe an inch thick inside, and pull the air down and through that to a more convenient place. It's a twist on the idea of those rectangular ducts used to extract kitchen and bathroom fans when you don't have much headroom. That might need a high volume extractor which I don't have, rather than a shop vac.

Cheers guys.

What are the side guides like with yours? Mine came with little blocks of wood! That normal?!

I'm curious about the power, shows input P.abs 1100w and p.ut 740w. So which one is comparable to other machines when they describe their power rating?

IMG_20180619_155344-1008x756.jpg
The blade guide on my 613 is quite substantial.
It has two metal rotating discs.

Attachments

• IMG_20180619_155344-1008x756.jpg
    IMG_20180619_155344-1008x756.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 447
I've used some of that earlier generation of Kity machinery, and always found them to be cleverly designed and solidly engineered, using good quality components throughout. With the right blade I doubt there's much that you couldn't achieve with that machine.

I have a Kity universal machine that I purchased new over 35 years ago and the 613 bandsaw that I purchased second hand but I think must be over 20 years old and all I can say is that although by today's standards the design is basic the machines are solid and accurate and even if money was no object I would not replace them.

Made a little torsion box stand out of scraps, bit of 68mm pipe and elbow from Wickes and I have a dust extraction box. I'm glad I was able to keep the chest of drawers.

voakaa.jpg

Works fairly well, still a bit of dust makes its way to left side of machine so I might still try and add an under-table dust collection contraption.

I'm so happy with the machine though :)

Back