Any Electronics Wizards?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
I see Dewalt offer a mains adaptor for their 54v cordless mitre saw but not the table saw; I was wondering if there was a perfectly good reason why they can't? Or if it would be possible to construct an adaptor that would allow the DW7485 to operate off the mains?

I will guess that it will be to do with the size and cost of an adapter able to deliver high enough currents for long enough. The table saw MAY have a higher power motor that needs more current, and or more mass in the blade and arbor which would increase the current drawn at startup. You're also more likely to make a rip cut that is a few feet long rather than a cross cut of a few inches. So the power supply will need to deliver current continuously for longer at a time. This will affect the build up and dissipation of heat which is important in the design of power supplies. If neither of these things applies, the mitre saw adaptor may be able to spin up the 7845 ?

Dewalt brought out a similar converter when i bought the full 24v system about 15 years ago and it was called an AC/DC converter and i bought one from the usa while on holiday out there,The reason it was not available in the EU was because the electrical regs vary between both countries.I still own it and it means that all my tools are still going strong and getting batteries would be a nightmare.

AC/DC CONVERTER

Attachments

• $_35.jpg
    $_35.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 397
Sideways":3l1ne21n said:
I will guess that it will be to do with the size and cost of an adapter able to deliver high enough currents for long enough. The table saw MAY have a higher power motor that needs more current, and or more mass in the blade and arbor which would increase the current drawn at startup. You're also more likely to make a rip cut that is a few feet long rather than a cross cut of a few inches. So the power supply will need to deliver current continuously for longer at a time. This will affect the build up and dissipation of heat which is important in the design of power supplies. If neither of these things applies, the mitre saw adaptor may be able to spin up the 7845 ?
Not sure that stacks up as the mitre saw takes two of the flex volt batteries and the table saw takes one...

I think I remember DeWalt saying they will eventually bring out the adaptor for the single battery slot. Not sure when.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Fair enough. I don't know either of them. That makes is sound like it's something more mundane like they need 2 batteries worth of space to build a PSU that can deliver the current. Or maybe it's a marketing decision that someone thinks there's more demand for the one that fits the mitre saw .... :)

Back