Anvil ironmongery, poor screws and customer service

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned it before about company's that make fantastic ironmongery but send out appalling screws.

a2a46046c2f7e0ba91ab1c5191466e28.jpg

I've got 2 pairs of handles to fit and one screw hasn't even got a slot. The other slots are so full up with paint and rounded its hardly deep enough for a screwdriver to grip. Why do they send out such garbage screws, yet make handles etc that are fantastic quality ?
b3f534f7921e8d95253b764a06a3c661.jpg

There's never any spare screws in the pack so what should be a straightforward job turns into a right task. I rang the customer helpline and explained the situation and was told I'd have to contact the place I bought them from. After a few choice words I was told to email them some pictures of the problem- the screw has no slot ffs !! Lol. I'm now advised they need additional information so they can issue replacements - Place I bought them from, date of purchase etc etc. I just need 16 screws to replace the garbage that came with ! You'd think I was after diamonds with all the information their asking for.

You've let the ironmongery industry down Anvil ! Ha

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Seems like they're trying to make it so much hassle that you'll just go away

I now use ironmongery direct if at all possible. They offer a 10year warranty on everything they sell. Also the products are a bit nicer...it's subtle I know. For instance the strike plates for interior latches don't have the 2 cut outs. Meaning I can seamlessly install them on most replacements. Of course your buggered next time but the cheques cleared by then!(only joking)

tony_s":2t16d4s3 said:
Seems like they're trying to make it so much hassle that you'll just go away
Maybe. I had a similar conversation with Kirkpatrick years ago and there response was sending out a massive bag of screws (after sending some pictures) that have lasted for years. It can't be that difficult to source a decent black slotted screw......

johnnyb":2lsmzqdo said:
I now use ironmongery direct if at all possible. They offer a 10year warranty on everything they sell. Also the products are a bit nicer...it's subtle I know. For instance the strike plates for interior latches don't have the 2 cut outs. Meaning I can seamlessly install them on most replacements. Of course your buggered next time but the cheques cleared by then!(only joking)
I've started using them quite a bit over the last few years, but sometimes they haven't got quite what's needed. You'd have thought finding decent screws would be the easy part and making all the different shaped handles etc a bit more of a challenge.

phil.p":1ttepg2z said:
I tend to treat screws that come with something as I do the glue that comes with flatpack furniture - just throw it/them away and use something decent to start with. Get your retaliation in first. :D
That's a solution of sorts I suppose ! :D It's such a small detail that really chucks a spanner in the works.

1 phone call and 3 emails later (just sent the 4th) they still require additional info despite having photos of the screws and postage address !

They don't want to fix the problem, they want you to go away. If a trader treated me like that, they would never get my custom again, and I would tell as many people as I could, not to trade with them.

interesting that, I bought some hardware for my toolchest and guess what happened? the screws were so soft that the head snapped off 95% of the way in, so I tried a second one, same thing, I told them about it and they sent me replacements, but wasn't happy with how they looked, so went with domed head solid brass screws in the end, in future I'm going to ask for discounts if they send me stuff with no screws at all. That was from an ebay seller called 'ironmongery express uk'

I had a screw with two slots once, I can look for it and send you the spare slot.

:wink:

Pete

johnnyb":2r3flyoz said:

I use these guys, they work on Sundays so order on Sunday delivery on Monday, very useful =D>

Back