Anti Vibration Gloves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to protect my hands a bit better with all the angle grinding I am doing (and might do later). Any recommendations for gloves?

I'm not sure gloves will do anything for vibration but I use cutproof gloves - good feel and no slippage. Great for mechanical work and keeping sharp edges from doing damage generally. Last a long time too come to think of it.

Don't waste your money; they are worse than useless.

All they do is make you tighten your grip on the tool which just makes the vibration effects on your body worse.

I doubt you will find a reputable company selling these as "anti vibration" as they have been warned off by HSE for false description.

I have taken to the Skytec gloves. They are not sold as anti vibe but they are a bit like neoprene and do dampen vibration a lot. Also they are very warm which also is an aid to avoiding white finger. I use them for chainsaw use when cold but you may need to be careful use them for grinding as the are synthetic and will melt with sparks

These https://www.arco.co.uk/products/14G4800

Bob, I'm pretty aware of vibration hazard - I do the risk assessments for our company and I wouldn't say gloves are a fantastic mitigator of risk. Unless the OP is spending many, many hours performing this operation the risk of nerve damage is quite small.

I do wear gloves a lot but not for that reason; as a marine engineer I'm on the tools all day and have never felt the need. If I was doing a job where I was using a certain tool all day that'd be a different matter.

Seem to remember that the Metabo grinders have a good well damped handle.

I dont use gloves at all unless painting. I grew up without them available and now feel uncomfortable wearing them (big hands make them so!). No gloves also sharpens the survival instinct :shock: 8)

The last company I worked for was an MoD contractor, and they did EVERYTHING exactly by the book. When this became an issue about 8 years ago, they went through every tradesmans van and tool box (almost 40 people), and wrapped coloured insulating tape around the handles of every power tool to denote the specific dangers.
Red, yellow and green. Then they issued a chart showing how many minutes in any one hour each colour could be used. Some were literally a couple of minutes in each hour.

I've been retired long enough to forget the bands now, but I am sure they can be surfed for.

I just got so damn sick of getting cut - never on a tool always on the workpiece itself. Then I had to get the ex some glass handling gloves (picture framer) and thought they were just the business. The garage or machine shop is also unheated so thats a good incentive too - don't suppose thats a major for you though eh?

The vibration thing did suddenly spring out of nowhere; suddenly I was doing risk assessments for cordless drills of all things - in the entire history of mankind has anyone ever suffered from white finger from an 18v drill/driver? Ho hum.

I think the "vibration" scare has settled down a bit now.
Like many hazards its a question of intensity and time.
There are a few jobs where its an important factor, but generally they are few and far between.

Rhyolith":u3usynzk said:
I want to protect my hands a bit better with all the angle grinding I am doing (and might do later). Any recommendations for gloves?

Hi - I do a lot of ankle-grinding. I don't find vibration too much of a problem. Eye, lung and hearing protection is definitely important though. I don't use gloves. I always wear safety boots.

The only tools I find make my hands tingle after an hour or two are those powered by a two-stroke motor - strimmers, chainsaws etc.

Cheers, W2S

Not sure what your doing with an angle grinder, but normally a good machine doesn’t really have any noticeable vibration. The only time I’ve ever found it an issue is when using wire brushes and not using them properly. If the brush starts to wear unevenly you certainly get vibration. On one occasion I bought the wrong wire brushes, not rated at sufficiently high speed that distorted / lost bristles and again vibrated.

I bought a pair of anti-vbration gloves from either Lidl or Aldi years ago. They're like the gloves in the picture below.

They do work, because my little 5" Metabo random orbit sander will make my arm tingle from elbow down after a while if used without the gloves. The only problem is that the gecko paw surface is very thick, so they're not good for delicate work.

Mark
4e1013ab1c4b6d05e7eb3b7eb70d8049.jpg

lurker":9zd6w6k7 said:
Don't waste your money; they are worse than useless.

All they do is make you tighten your grip on the tool which just makes the vibration effects on your body worse.

I doubt you will find a reputable company selling these as "anti vibration" as they have been warned off by HSE for false description.

I read a (USA ?) research report that tested some pairs in a controlled, scientific manner. My conclusion was that the benefits are minimal. I felt the researchers pulled their punches and weren't as dismissive as I would have been based on their data.

The damping effect of such gloves on vibration will be very dependent on the specific situation they're used in (tool/speed/material/phase-of-the-moon/etc) and the modulus of elasticity of the combined glove/gel/hand.

Much better without them in most cases TBH

Using this HSE chart
http://www.hse.gov.uk/vibration/hav/adv ... m#exposure

a modern angle grinder has a permitted daily usage of 3 hours continuous before damage starts to occur (assuming normal healthy male to start with, Obviously less if there are existing circulation / nerve issues).
But the upper limit is 13 hours continuous per day.
I dont think an angle grinder needs anti vibration gloves. :roll: :roll:

The negativity towards anti vibe gloves seems bazaar to me. They work to some extent for sure. I used a pneumatic hammer drill for chasing out pointing on our barn. The vibration was dreadful so I bought some gel filled gloves which made the vibration far more tolerable and doubled the amount of time I could do in a stint. They were clumsy and not pleasant to wear but they helped with the vibration so worth while IMO.

Ermm, pneumatic hammer drill is a slightly different beast and is the one that brought white finger to the fore. Also not known for needing much dexterous handling. Probably quite a good idea to use something in that stuation.

Never needed anti vibration gloves for grinding, don't think I've ever seen anyone using them on site either, and we work in some pretty over the top safety regimes. If you want to wear gloves I'd recommend some leather tig welders gauntlets - they're thin enough to be dextrous and won't burn through.

mbartlett99":28pb5ktg said:
Ermm, pneumatic hammer drill is a slightly different beast and is the one that brought white finger to the fore. Also not known for needing much dexterous handling. Probably quite a good idea to use something in that stuation.

Yes there shouldn't be vibration to the same extent but it's still vibration and the right gloves help. The OP says they want gloves to help for using a grinder. Manufacturers are aware vibration is an issue, this was the first grinder I clicked on https://www.axminster.co.uk/dewalt-dwe4 ... der-508659 so just recommend some gloves for the poor chap (hammer)

Latest posts

Back