Another new member.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi to everyone,

My name is Alan and I have come here on the recommendation of Gill who I know from the 'Diamond' saw forum.

I've been scrolling for around 10 years and have gained a lot of practical hands-on experience over that time and hope I can contribute here in a meaningful and helpful way.
Experience is an ongoing thing and we can never know all there is to know so I also look forward to gaining from others experience.

Here's a photo of one of the biggest challenges I attempted...Cutting an old penny coin !

(ModEdit: please see next post)

Happy scrolling !

Hi Alan

Welcome to the forum.

You got caught out by our spamulator. This will allow you to post images once you have a few more posts under your belt.

Cheers
Neil

pennycutoutzn5.jpg

Hi Alan

Welcome on board - I'm so glad you found us :) .

You did a lovely job on the penny. I presume you constructed some sort of jig to hold it whilst cutting? I've been told that coins can get uncomfortably hot.

Gill

Gill":2hv7frrc said:
Hi Alan

Welcome on board - I'm so glad you found us :) .

You did a lovely job on the penny. I presume you constructed some sort of jig to hold it whilst cutting? I've been told that coins can get uncomfortably hot.

Gill

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome.

Gill....My coin cutting experience is minimal and I did it as a challenge to myself. I got slung in the deep end so to speak by not having a clue the best way to do it.
I went on to cut a second old penny but as it was just a challenge, I don't have enough interest to do more.

To answer your questions I reproduce here what I posted on the Diamond forum :

When I initially thought about cutting a coin I did a few tests to find the best blade to use. I have a variety of extremely fine jewellers blades but they proved useless under power.They snapped for the slightest reason and I think they must be hand use only or just a bad brittle batch. Anyway,I tried fine metal cutting blades and also standard skiptooth blades for wood.The coin being pretty soft metal cut easily using the skiptooth wood blades so that's what I used. Heat was not a problem and like I said, it's surprising how easy the metal cuts.I used a No.2 skiptooth blade and the bulk of the cutting was done as normal.Certain details where even spinning the blade on itself was too course were easier to cut using the blade like a file gnawing away a bit at a time.This 'filing' technique proved to be very easy to do and yielded good results.

I stuck the coin to a 6mm thick MDF backing about 100mm x 100mm using ordinary wood glue and left it to go off overnight.This backing is more or less essential when working on this sort or object.Then it was a case of normal scrolling techniques but made that much more difficult because of the small size. My headband magnifier came in handy for this as my eyes are getting more tired the older I get LOL.

Back