Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Pete Maddex
Did you lay out the stich holes with a fork, thats what I did with my Pukko sheath.

Pete
By rxh
Pete Maddex wrote:Did you lay out the stich holes with a fork, thats what I did with my Pukko sheath.

Pete

Pete, I marked the holes with an awl - I just "eyeballed" the spacing so it is a bit irregular. The fork seems like a good idea.
By Bedrock
I have been on a couple of leatherwork courses recently. Leatherworkers use either what looks like a very sturdy fork, different sizes - different pitches, punched into the leather, or a spike toothed wheel rotating within a steel shaft, with a handle. I picked up a couple of second hand leather working tools for not very much at antique/bric-a brac sales. Worth the small expenditure if you are contemplating any more work. Being able to achieve a consistent stitch pitch makes a lot of difference to the look of the piece.
Your thumb shave looks like a very useable weapon.
By Andy Kev.
It looks like the sort of handy little tool that you would want to have around the bench for touching things up. It's the sort of thing that Lee Valley might do a repro of. I'd certainly get one if they did.
By SteveW1000
Looks good but seems like the stitches wander a bit. I do know a leather worker and he has something like a comb to mark the leather for the stitches which he then pricks through with an awl. Yet another trade with it's own tools and ways of doing things.
By Rorschach
Very nice little tool. Wouldn't be too difficult to make something similar from an old planer blade I would imagine, just need an angle grinder.