Aluminium Clamps Twisting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John15

Established Member
Reaction score
There was a thread on this a week or so ago but I can't find it under this new system. The screw thread turns until it meets some resistance then it binds and the whole clamp twists. I should have sent them back but time drifted and it never happened. I've already got quite a few of this design and they all work well. Does anyone know a remedy for this defect?

John

Does it happen every rotation of the thread or just on one part of the thread?

If it's once every rotation the pin that holds the head of the clamp to the thread is probably catching or rubbing on something (Common fault on cheap clamps). If that's happening you might need to file some material off whatever's catching or adjust the pin.

If it's just on one part of the thread it possibly wasn't rolled correctly in the factory and you might have a part of the thread that needs filing down just a bit to get it working right.

I wipe wax on my clamp threads and bar with a cloth to keep them nice and slick, that may also help.

Thanks Trevanion for your reply.
It happens when clamping varying thicknesses on all sections of the thread so it falls under your first situation. I'll look again in the morning to see if I can tell what's causing the thread to jam.

John

John15":4k98rpv8 said:
Thanks for that Fitzroy. Some points there that may well solve my problem.

John
I have a few of the cheap Chinese ones of these and some of the Dubuque versions.

As per the Sellers video, filing the threads and re-enforcing the bar with wood helps.

If you want something that works out of the box without any of the hassle of the cheap ones, buy the Dubuque's.

After a few glue ups that went pear shaped because of the cheap ones, I am slowly replacing them with the Dubuques. The cheap ones just aren't worth the hassle in the long run, particularly if you are using them regularly.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

I’ve always sworn by the Record T-bar clamps because they’re absolutely bombproof. Although, they should be bombproof at £50 or so a clamp!

Bodgers":gedll4ye said:
John15":gedll4ye said:

John
I have a few of the cheap Chinese ones of these and some of the Dubuque versions.

As per the Sellers video, filing the threads and re-enforcing the bar with wood helps.

If you want something that works out of the box without any of the hassle of the cheap ones, buy the Dubuque's.

After a few glue ups that went pear shaped because of the cheap ones, I am slowly replacing them with the Dubuques. The cheap ones just aren't worth the hassle in the long run, particularly if you are using them regularly.

They certainly should be good at that price but my question was how to fix my cheap ones.

John

John; a photo would be good, so we can see the problem

John15":2dk1xbi5 said:
Bodgers":2dk1xbi5 said:
John15":2dk1xbi5 said:

John

They certainly should be good at that price but my question was how to fix my cheap ones.

John
Replacing them with better ones is sometimes a real solution :)

I modded mine and it makes a big difference, it's worth updating them with strips of softwood, and filing away the arrises on the metal pads as well as the screw threads to remove the excess paint, it doees make a difference and they don't sound as clangy, they feel more solid.

Latest posts

Back