Alternative to cheap sanding drums?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey-023

Reaction score
I'm creating wooden templates (1cm deep) for use in another medium, and am having trouble finishing the edges of the templates.

I have been using routers to clear the main material, then a dremel with sanding drums to get in close and finish. I have been buying drum sets from Amazon and Ebay, but have yet to find some really good quality sets.

Problem: most of the drums last only a few seconds before flying apart, meaning I spend around 80% of the time replacing drums.

Is there a better alternative technique for finishing these pieces?

Or, can anyone recommend some high quality sanding drums?

dremel sanding drums are almost useless. But they will last a few seconds more if you dont press so hard.
Softly softly catchee monkee.

But a new or mint router cutter should leave you a finished edge.

I have several small router bits which do clean up nicely, but I prefer not to get too close with the trimmer in case it kicks and wrecks the piece - hence using sanding drums.

I was hoping that there might be a bit of kit that would do a better job than the sanding bands, with lower risk than the trimmer.

make one absolutely perfect master template. use a new or very sharp flush trim cutter.
Hold the piece firmly (but safely of course).
Job done.

mikey-023":2dx5hglw said:
I have several small router bits which do clean up nicely, but I prefer not to get too close with the trimmer in case it kicks and wrecks the piece - hence using sanding drums.

I was hoping that there might be a bit of kit that would do a better job than the sanding bands, with lower risk than the trimmer.

Sanding drums don't come with a template bearing though - Same as Sunnybob, sharp router bit - you can buy credit card sized diamond plates for sharpening router bits, they work very well, and kick only comes from a few sources: bad technique, dull bit, hitting a knot or other obstruction.

You could make your own sanding drums with replaceable grits and then make a bearing, using a smaller bearing inside a larger "to size" wood wheel, but I still think a sharp bit is the way to go.

If you'll use templates often it's worth spending a bit more for a good bearing guided flush trim bit and use it just for templates.

Oh - just remembered err... google microplane - might be a viable alternative

Back