Aldi plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it looked like the cheap woodies Rutlands used to sell (I just checked and their only European style woodies are ECE Primus now.

Probably a better buy for DIY jobs (painted timber etc) than a low-grade lump of iron, or a good start for modifications - though it looks a bit small.

Hi, BB

Scrub plane, compass plane, hollowing plane, spar plane etc.

My money is on edam for the blade.

Pete

Geeeee Louise...WHY can't they just stick to cornflakes....whatever next...

I fail to see the market for it...I mean...it's not an electric tape measure...it's not a jeweller screwdriver set that EVERY housewife needs...it's not even functional as a doorstop...

I WANT ONE!!!

:D :D :D :D

Jim

Anyone who enjoys a challenge will want one. We should put up a trophy for the first person to make it work (even if it's done by replacing everything :D ).

Hello,

It's made badly. Throat looks like to be really too narrow for the blade. There seems to be no sufficient clearance to tilt the blade if needed. It may be even got stuck in there already. It only tells me that before coating, the wood for the body was not sufficiently stabilized, i.e. dried and so on. Probably be made of quickly kiln dried mediocre quality wood at max.

AndyT":3tlmvbo6 said:
...or a good start for modifications - though it looks a bit small.

Trust me, it is not a good start for easy modding. I checked out a very similar looking plane a while ago. There was room for operations, like adding up new mouthpiece etc small things, but if wood reacts to humidity changes in a too lively manner , you need to true the sole a bit too often and you will lose the peak of improvements pretty soon. That's what they are.

Samu

mark w":304krh9t said:
Surely the blade has got to be Blue Steelton.

Don't move! You are close to truth! :D

Seriously, the aforementioned wooden plane I checked out had one of the most boring irons I've encountered. I was able to sharpen it, and I was able to use it to plane wood, but... I just lacked "the bite".

The hardness of the steel was less than 60 Rc, I think. It was hardened and tempered, but I'm almost certain it was alloyed with less carbon than would have been good for a decent plane iron. It felt like something that would serve better as a not-so-expensive knife blade.

Samu

Hi,

I picked one up last night on my way home, there where lots left!
Did a quick sharpen and filed the cap iron to fit and makes nice shavings, I only tried it on pine, its my only horned smother and I seemed to get on with it quite quickly. I think its quite good for the price.
I hate the varnish they have coated it with I might scrape it off and coat it with BLO.

Pete

Back