ALDI have got the table saw. Again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has anyone used their circular saw? I'd like to know if it's good enough, noticed that's also on offer.

What type of motor is it in the table saw? Induction or something more noisy?

If you want headache/lost time = buy Aldi/Lidl tools..
If that's all the budget you have= look on ebay for good quality used tools instead.

MrDavidRoberts":3jsyns4v said:
If that's all the budget you have= look on ebay for good quality used tools instead.

There are some outliers that are good - particularly from Lidl. This Aldi tablesaw probably isn't one of them.

The Lidl chisels are great. Some of the Lidl Parkside power tools are also fine. 20v SDS drill and Tracksaw are also good, so unwise to make sweeping statements...

Bodgers":nu8i44bv said:
MrDavidRoberts":nu8i44bv said:

There are some outliers that are good - particularly from Lidl. This Aldi tablesaw probably isn't one of them.

The Lidl chisels are great. Some of the Lidl Parkside power tools are also fine. 20v SDS drill and Tracksaw are also good, so unwise to make sweeping statements...

People on here seem to love their sweeping statements (he said with a sweeping statement :lol: )

I have the Aldi table saw, it does what I expect of it

I can't afford hundreds of pounds for a table saw, so its either the Aldi version or none

Plus they have a three year warranty and delivered to my door for free

There are plenty of tools I would buy second hand, but a table saw isn't one of them, the reason most are put up for sale is they are worn out and knackered, heavily used by tradesman and as I quite like my fingers and wish to keep them I wouldn't trust a table saw on its last legs

There seems to be some snobbery regarding Aldi / Lidl tools which are very often just re-badged more well known makes, like Scheppach

All the tools I have had from either Aldi / Lidl do all I expect of them, drills drill, saws saw, the bits and accessories are lower quality and won't last as long as more expensive makes, but if you are only using them on and off they do a job of work

whatknot":1d5dvh6p said:

I can't afford hundreds of pounds for a table saw, so its either the Aldi version or none

There are plenty of tools I would buy second hand, but a table saw isn't one of them, the reason most are put up for sale is they are worn out and knackered, heavily used by tradesman and as I quite like my fingers and wish to keep them I wouldn't trust a table saw on its last legs

There seems to be some snobbery regarding Aldi / Lidl tools which are very often just re-badged more well known makes, like Scheppach

All the tools I have had from either Aldi / Lidl do all I expect of them, drills drill, saws saw, the bits and accessories are lower quality and won't last as long as more expensive makes, but if you are only using them on and off they do a job of work

Every junk is a ''good tool'' Until you try something better..... You never know what is out there unless you have actually tried it.
What's the point from a 3year warranty if the tools are utter junk made from cheese
Actually the bits/accessories aren't of lower quality - they are of the absolutely lowest quality there is...

If you value your time/sanity and $ -AVOID!
but... If you use your tools everyday and to keep bread on your table you will already knows this, for the average DIY'er who hasn't touched a hammer in his life before- I guess they are fine...Because wowowoawiwa a whooping 3year warranty! #-o

So you have one of these and have tested it against the opposition?

Mike

I purchased a Lidl chainsaw sharpener a couple of years ago for use with my chainsaw mill at around £20 it was a 5th of the price of big name brands. It has sharpened many many chains flawlessly. I know some of the professional arborists now use them for their chains.
I guess its horses for courses, sometimes good value..... really is!

whatknot":d1ku5k5h said:

I wouldn't rule out the 'none' option. You mention the occasional use thing, which is fair comment, but in the case of a tablesaw it lives and dies by its repeatability and accuracy, and unfortunately a sub £100 TS is likely to have issues here. Even the TS200 at 400+ needs work before it can get there, and at sub £100 something has to give to get the price down.

I've actually sold my TS now and use my bandsaw for most stuff. If I had my time over I'd have sunk the TS money into a better bandsaw. That's what I'd be doing with my Aldi TS money...

Bodgers":2z15eyc3 said:
in the case of a tablesaw it lives and dies by its repeatability and accuracy
I don't necessarily agree with that; I believe it depends on what you are using the tablesaw for.

Being basically a hand-tools only woodworker who recently got access to a low-quality tablesaw, I use it for rough dimensioning of my timber. It isn't the most accurate or repeatable tool but using it to rip long lengths of timber to rough width before planing it is much easier than using a hand saw. Of course, if you want to do joinery with the tablesaw (and many people do) then you need something more accurate and repeatable, but that is not essential for every use.

As with any tool purchase I think you should identify your real needs then look for a tool to meet those needs.

Just4Fun":3gri8cvl said:
Bodgers":3gri8cvl said:
in the case of a tablesaw it lives and dies by its repeatability and accuracy
I don't necessarily agree with that; I believe it depends on what you are using the tablesaw for.

Being basically a hand-tools only woodworker who recently got access to a low-quality tablesaw, I use it for rough dimensioning of my timber. It isn't the most accurate or repeatable tool but using it to rip long lengths of timber to rough width before planing it is much easier than using a hand saw. Of course, if you want to do joinery with the tablesaw (and many people do) then you need something more accurate and repeatable, but that is not essential for every use.

As with any tool purchase I think you should identify your real needs then look for a tool to meet those needs.

I take your point, but in this case a bandsaw might be a better and safer bet for rough dimensioning stuff surely? Especially when dealing with large lumps of rough sawn timber.

I thought the main use case for table saws was accurate rip cuts and the jigs that can be used with it to get accuracy and repeatability? That's what I got mine for...but hey I've just sold mine, so what do I know? :)

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

..I got the Aldi Band saw last year, and for the money it has been absolutely brilliant....that is its been loads better than the alternative, (ie no bandsaw)...would I buy one if I was a "professional / heavy user ? definitely not.....would I recommend one for a one off project / light DIY use...definitely yes!!

I would assume the table saw is of the same ilk, if you have a "light" need and you are prepared to accept its limitations with a 3 yr return warranty what have you got to loose?!

Bodgers":1597dl5e said:
I take your point, but in this case a bandsaw might be a better and safer bet for rough dimensioning stuff surely?
Possibly, I really don't know. I have no knowledge of bandsaws.

I mentioned the three year warranty as a point of fact, its a selling point, should there be a problem it could be returned, unlike many other retailers who try to avoid returns or obligation

As I have had no problem I have not had the need

Its not junk, neither is it made out of cheese ;-)

Simply dismissing things because it doesn't fit your view point is hardly a valid argument

Had I needed it for a business of course I wouldn't have bought it, but that was obvious from my post

How you can be an average DIYer without touching a hammer in their life is beyond me :)

Every junk is a ''good tool'' Until you try something better..... You never know what is out there unless you have actually tried it.
What's the point from a 3year warranty if the tools are utter junk made from cheese
Actually the bits/accessories aren't of lower quality - they are of the absolutely lowest quality there is...

If you value your time/sanity and $ -AVOID!
but... If you use your tools everyday and to keep bread on your table you will already knows this, for the average DIY'er who hasn't touched a hammer in his life before- I guess they are fine...Because wowowoawiwa a whooping 3year warranty! #-o[/quote]

Precisely

If I was a heavy user and needed it for a business, I would look for something more substantial

But for what it is, its fine

Stevebod":2q7ev740 said:
..I got the Aldi Band saw last year, and for the money it has been absolutely brilliant....that is its been loads better than the alternative, (ie no bandsaw)...would I buy one if I was a "professional / heavy user ? definitely not.....would I recommend one for a one off project / light DIY use...definitely yes!!

I would assume the table saw is of the same ilk, if you have a "light" need and you are prepared to accept its limitations with a 3 yr return warranty what have you got to loose?!

I would like one but for two reasons I can't. One is no space in my workshop and two, I know someone who lost two fingers and a thumb to a table saw, so I don't feel confidant in using one

Back