Advice sought for first lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenk4563

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble figuring out which of these have the best (most useful) spec, I'm going to be using it for small spindle type turning, I don't see myself getting into big bowl making or anything, I know there will be limitations with lathes this small.

Record Power DML250
Speeds from 500-3200 rpm
Thread M33 x 3.5

Axminster Hobby Series AWSL
Speeds from 760-3200 rpm
Thread T04M 1" x 8 tpi

Apart from those above they seem to be the same spec and price wise.

I know bigger is always better, but I really am limited on space so I need a compact lathe that's fairly easy to move around, and I can't see myself ever doing anything that exceeds the capacity of these, all advice welcome.

I would also appreciate advice as to what type of chuck to get, would need it to hold small round stock (10-100mm ish) as well as square stuff, I'm guessing a 4 jaw chuck with some adaptor things? Recommendations welcome for either of the machines above.

Thanks

I like to make my own tools, so my reason for getting a lathe is to enable me to do that, not to get into woodturning as such, however I may well join a club in future to learn more techniques etc.

At the moment an Axminster AWSL and 100mm chuck package is £412, The RP DML250 is £219 and a chuck £99. If you were happy to part with 400 quid I'd also look at the DML305M33 at 299.
All of the above as you say are very similar and there is not a lot to choose one from the other on specs etc. The Record Powers do have a 5 year warranty in their favour though.
Customer service from both Axminster and Record power is generally good to excellent, so no obvious choice there either.
Do you have a local stockist of either locally? Choice may come down to who's local/ convenient/ or who you get on better with if you have personal contact with either company, or who's willing to do a deal with a chuck and maybe an extra set of jaws if need be, to cover your intended work.*

Pin Jaws will cover from say 9mm to 40mm in compression mode, and a set of 'standard' or 'C' type jaws will cover from 50mm upwards depending on make and model.
If whichever lathe you choose doesn't come with a tailstock 'Live' centre, you'll want one of those too.

Thanks, can the standard jaws hold square stock? And would the lower rpm of the Record be useful at all?

Yes to holding square stock and the slower speeds are used generally for larger out of balance stock until its roughed, rounded and a bit more balanced. If you're generally turning 2x2 square stock for tool handles then you'll probably not need the slower speed but if you're converting rough sawn lumps of tree then slower will be better.

+1 for Nev's advice.
There's not a lot of difference between those two lathes so either should suit.

It's not the chuck size that necessarily dictates the size that can be held, more the size of the jaws that are mounted on the chuck. Any 3" or 4" scroll chuck should fit the bill depending on what you wish to spend. A scroll chuck means the jaws all move in & out together & stay concentric.

Thanks everyone, if I went for the RP sc3 chuck, can it hold small items without extra jaws, i.e. are the 4 sliding jaws able to hold stuff on their own?

stevenk4563":25ye6k8a said:
Thanks everyone, if I went for the RP sc3 chuck, can it hold small items without extra jaws, i.e. are the 4 sliding jaws able to hold stuff on their own?

No. You'll need jaws of some type on there. I believe the chuck comes with the 50mm jaws as standard which you could use the centre of to clamp smaller pieces but theres not much material to grip with. Grab a set of pin jaws too...
http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/pi ... iA0k7Z0efQ
You won't regret it.
You'll start with your stock between centres and over long. you then reduce one end to fit (properly) into your chosen jaws and when you finish your item you turn/cut of the spigot held in the chuck.

Back