About to order new lathe but which chuck should I buy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorkieT

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to order a Axminster AT1416VS lathe ( tomorrow ) but can't make my mind up as to which chuck to buy, I really like the pen jaws that Axminster sell so I was leaning towards a Axmister chuck but some of the reviews I have read are putting me off, which chuck would member recommend? I will mostly be turning pens etc and very occasionally small bowls to around 10" dia.
Thanks in advance.

For me the no brainer would be the Axminster SK 100, suitably lightweight giving you all the capacity your lathe can handle.
If you need smaller diameter jaws it will take the 80mm versions supplied for the SK 80 Chuck.

CHJ":2d3ss5zy said:
For me the no brainer would be the Axminster SK 100, suitably lightweight giving you all the capacity your lathe can handle.
If you need smaller diameter jaws it will take the 80mm versions supplied for the SK 80 Chuck.

The SK 100 was my initial choice but a couple of reviews saying the jaws were out of true put me off slightly.

I have 5 ? Axminster chucks and a variety of accessory jaws and have only ever had one set of jaws that were incorrectly manufactured. That was some 10 yrs. ago.

CHJ":2eiz2bve said:
I have 5 ? Axminster chucks and a variety of accessory jaws and have only ever had one set of jaws that were incorrectly manufactured. That was some 10 yrs. ago.

Thank you, that's good enough for me, I will order the SK100 along with a selection of jaws when I order the lathe :D

i have the 1416 and sk100 with some extra jaws and very happy with them both. I don't have the Axi pen jaws though as mine are fitted to a Record chuck on my little Jet lathe.

Ordered the new lathe, chuck and extra jaws last night, the chuck is on back order but the rest should be here tomorrow :D
Cheers for all the help guys :wink:

Everything I ordered arrived today ( well done Axminster ) the lathe is an absolute joy to use, so quiet and smooth.
The chuck is as good as any others I have used in the past.
Will be ordering a trend air shield pro tomorrow :wink:

Back