A New Year resolution...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaoticbob

Established Member
Reaction score
Spend more on wood than tools next year! In my first foray into woodworking I've come to the belated conclusion that for what I want to do (DIY house restoration) pretty much everything can be done as well or better with hand tools. If you're not in a hurry.

Many thanks to all all on this forum who have have given me advice,.
Happy New Year, Rob.

Nothing to do with woodwork, but, do the parkrun every sat in 2018 (unless away) and aim for a sub 20 (PB from last year 22.08)

Need to keep costs down for the next year or two, so resolutions are :-
Make list of all unfinished projects, and finish as many as possible, starting with those not requiring further money spending.
Buy nothing apart from glue, fasteners and abrasives unless the purchase can be financed by the sale of surplus items.

1. Try not to start a new project until I finish a back-burner one, finances permitting.

2. Shift some of the things that are just collecting dust.

3. Improve my welding.

... and BLWYDDYN NEWYDD DDA to everyone here. xx

I had more of a goal for 2018 : Build and sell one piece from the shed. Maybe a small chest, maybe a small table, whatever. Just one. And it doesn't have to be for very much - I paid about €250 for my last run to the timber yard, if I could sell a piece or two and make €200 I'd call that a success.

The idea is to get to the point where I could buy some nice timber, make a few things for friends and sell one or two other pieces to defray the cost of the timber. It is not supposed to be an income stream (not least because I already have a day job and taxes are so much fun). It’s just supposed to defray the cost of the hobby a bit is all.

And I did have a Shed Rule for 2018 that I'd like not to break:

Do Not do anything in the shed that has a deadline. Or, if there’s no way round that (like with solstice presents), have them done a month or more in advance, because seriously, pineapple deadlines right in the ear. They turn a fun hobby into a second job.

My first project for this year is building a tool chest, it's not even a matter of debate anymore, I need one badly. Like mark I'd also like the sell at least one item, and go to some craft fairs with some things I've made.

My new years resolution is to cancel my newspapers and stop watching TV News programmes as they are so depressing and its pointless worrying over rubbish when there is nothing I can do to stop it, I have enough stuff to worry about without hearing rich chinless wonders making threats to other countries.
Happy New Year to ya all
Brian

Latest posts

Back