A kind of all-time hiii...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What gets me is that there are people out there bad enough to make that...AND get away with marketing it!

I wonder who would buy one of those....?

Wait......

:D :D :wink:

Jim

Dear Mods,

Please can Ikisumu be excluded from this year's Secret Santa (or fix it so he gets the chief troll-meister :twisted: :twisted: )

Simon

:lol:

Impressive! Last year for a laugh I bought a cheap plane from Clas Ohlson when they had some insane sales on - it was a number 5, and the box looked very similar to the one you show there. I'd almost guess they're from the same factory, except that it wasn't quite as bad looking as that one you got! I reckon it cost me 12€.

I put it back in its box until one rainy day I grabbed a six-pack and spent all afternoon fettling - and it now does a surprisingly good job, considering. Miserable backlash, and I'd have to spend another hour or two filing to get the sides square, but I actually got a very nice full width shaving from it just last week on beech countertop endgrain.

Hi Trizza,

I once checked out those Clas Ohlson planes, and they resembled strongly those Anant planes. If I remember correctly, Ohlson used to also sell them under an obscure name of "Antika", too. Sure, with those ones a sixpack of plane fettling oil sounds like a good idea. :)

You can get actually lucky with those Anants, however in the case of being not that lucky (like I was), you have in your hands a cast iron plane which seems to be almost as lively as wood. I once did this and that for one #4 Anant, and one of my final conclusions was for example that as I remove metal from one spot, I should add it to another. I went a bit too complicated in the end, and I decided to quit with it.

Samu

Benchwayze":2wkxm2ci said:
woodbloke":2wkxm2ci said:
I think something could be done with it 8-[ ...not sure what though? - Rob

Doorstop? Or is it not heavy enough!

John :lol:

Given the fact it's mostly made of cast iron "foam", I'm afraid not. Wind may blow it away. :D

There are terrible pores all over it. Just like in castings where sand has not been properly selected, dried and binded for the task. They just did not pay attention in these things either.

Samu

We're all agreed it's a lousy tool. But stop and think for a moment - what sort of factory would produce something like this? One possibility is that it could be in India, with children working in scandalous conditions, for poverty wages.

This sort of thing:

child-labour-in-india-11.jpg

or this:

india_stperi_nyt_520-330.jpg

The product in the shop might be cheap but the cost is enormous.

Interesting. So if we buy the cheap rubbish made by these foreign sweat houses, we're encouraging poor work standards. Yet if we don't buy them, those people starve and die.

I don't have the answer to that conundrum.

Nor do I.

And it doesn't help realising that the industrial conditions in India or China are repeating all the problems that Britain had in the C18th. Sorry for making this go all serious.

That is spectacularly, wonderfully, bad. In pretty well all respects. It's much, much worse than the Anant jointer I bought from Dick. I had a problem with the shavings blocking in the muth - a little filing sorted that - and the bolt that holds the chipbreaker to the iron is out of whack, so the former slides down the latter when I tighten the bolt. So one day I'll treat myselff to a new iron and chipbreaker.
Apart from that it's a beaut - very flat and with a lot of oomphy mass

newt":90n8fwx4 said:
Grim would sort that out. :)

He's too busy "ministering to the swinish luxury of the rich" with 1500 quid kitchen tables for people pretending to be poor!

BugBear

Back