A goblet for this month's TOTY.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
DSCN2538.JPG
DSCN2537.JPG
DSCN2536.JPG
DSCN2535.JPG

Birch and laburnum, finished with TruOil and home made carnauba with turpentine.

Attachments

• DSCN2535.JPG
    DSCN2535.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 654
  • DSCN2536.JPG
    DSCN2536.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 654
  • DSCN2537.JPG
    DSCN2537.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 655
  • DSCN2538.JPG
    DSCN2538.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 654
Nice bowl shape, must have been quite difficult to with spalting of varying hardness.
Personally I think the foot's a little thick at the edge, but of course that's subjective.

It actually doesn't look as heavy in reality as it does in photos possibly because it's got a little more shape than is apparent. I couldn't have gone too much lighter - it was like turning cork. :D
I debated using blackwood for the stem, but I think the laburnum worked better. I couldn't do it in one piece as for one he log wasn't long enough and in any case the birch was too weak - there was a bad streak of rot running down one side that was hidden in the log but fortunately I saw a little hole, looked at the end and guessed where it was.

Very nice Phil. I was half expecting to see a box wood stem but 38mm might be a bit thick. :)

A nice goblet. That is the problem with photo's some pieces just don't look the same as they do in reality.

The only thing with the goblet that may help in the future is to sand the little piece off on the base in the centre and blend it to the rest of the foot. You will feel better about the piece as well, I know I do when I clean up the little bits and pieces. What I use is a small disc like the Sinon Hope ones from his sanders and fit that into a drill press and then clean any little stubs off, you could just use a drill with the press it eaves both hands free to hold the piece with

The goblet looks fantastic !! A pair would look even better - just kidding lol. Smart job Phil.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back