Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By gog64
I think you might be thinking of heifer, a Young cow. A young bull also has a name, a “nuisance” or “dinner”
By Dibs-h
heronviewer wrote:heifer, bullock, steer 1

Are those 3 words but for the same thing? Or 3 different things.
By Cheshirechappie
Heifer - young cow of breeding age that has not yet had a calf.
Cow - has had at least one calf.
Bull - intact male capable of breeding.
Steer - neutered male, usually grown on for beef.
Bullock - neutered male, sometimes grown on for beef, sometimes used as a draught animal.
Ox - neutered male, usually used as a draught animal.

(I think ... and there may be others!)
By Benchwayze
I am almost sorry I never eat curry. I just don't like spicy food. But I am tempted with this one.

John (hammer)
By John Brown
Made this tonight.
Followed the instructions to the letter.
Very tasty, but a little too hot for me, which equates to a lot too hot for my wife.
Next time I will halve the chilli powder quantity. Or use regular chili powder, rather than "hot chili powder".
I have to see if this chef has a garlic chili chicken recipe, as that is one of my favourite dishes.
By phil.p
My friend didn't like curry til he spent four years at Bradford university in the '70s. - now he'd eat it for breakfast. I Haven't yet found one I would eat unless I was dying of starvation. I detest the taste of cumin, caraway, coriander, turmeric and one or two others. :D
By Dibs-h
John Brown wrote:Made this tonight.
Followed the instructions to the letter.
Very tasty, but a little too hot for me, which equates to a lot too hot for my wife.
Next time I will halve the chilli powder quantity. Or use regular chili powder, rather than "hot chili powder".
I have to see if this chef has a garlic chili chicken recipe, as that is one of my favourite dishes.

Glad you gave it a go. :wink:

I'd say go with regular chilli powder. We don't use anything other than normal one. But if you've got the hot one, no point wasting it, so a good idea to try halving it.

And maybe adjust things to suit your own palate - I.e. whether you like it more tomato'ee or less. And same with onions. Dopiaza is just double onions in the base

Do - 2 or double
Piaza - onions.

:lol:

I'll ask the Mrs about garlic chicken - see if she knows. Lol

Oh, worth trying chicken on the bone instead of boneless. I find it nicer. Just using small drumsticks is really nice. :wink:
By Dibs-h
For garlic chicken, for the same measures for the chicken masala use anywhere from 2-4 more garlic cloves depending on how garlicy you like it.

Would suggest using 2 extra and step it up a little everytime until your happy with it.

Could a try little less than half the chilli powder (normal one) and add 1/3 tsp chilli flakes as well. (Add at the same time).

Should give you a starting point.

See how you get on.
By chaoticbob
Looks good Dibs-h - but what garam masala did you use? It does seem to make a difference - some of the shop-bought ones are like sawdust.
Bob.
By Trainee neophyte
Re chilli powder - there are normally only 4 ingredients: cumin, garlic, oregano and chilli seed. I only know this because I am a big chilli con carne fan, and there is no such thing as chilli powder in sunny Greece. Given how basic it is, we make our own now (well, throw the four ingredients in when cooking, which is nearly the same). The good news is you can get it to taste of chilli (that'll be the cumin) without it being insanely hot. Why is chilli powder always so spicy? No need for food that hurts.
By Trainee neophyte
Cheshirechappie wrote:Heifer - young cow of breeding age that has not yet had a calf.
Cow - has had at least one calf.
Bull - intact male capable of breeding.
Steer - neutered male, usually grown on for beef.
Bullock - neutered male, sometimes grown on for beef, sometimes used as a draught animal.
Ox - neutered male, usually used as a draught animal.

(I think ... and there may be others!)

When I was a lad, our next-door-nighbour always used to say, "Better way get they bullocks in for milkin'". Always eyewatering.

Makes an impression when you are at an impressionable age.
By Dibs-h
chaoticbob wrote:Looks good Dibs-h - but what garam masala did you use? It does seem to make a difference - some of the shop-bought ones are like sawdust.
Bob.

Hi Bob,

In all fairness I think its shop bought. Some of the old dears mix their own and because of the quantities of the ingredients involved - spend the next few months giving it away. :lol:

Try a brand such as East Rnd or Rajas.

HIH

Dibs

P.s. I'll double check with the Mrs when she gets back from work.
By Dibs-h
Trainee neophyte wrote:Re chilli powder - there are normally only 4 ingredients: cumin, garlic, oregano and chilli seed. I only know this because I am a big chilli con carne fan, and there is no such thing as chilli powder in sunny Greece. Given how basic it is, we make our own now (well, throw the four ingredients in when cooking, which is nearly the same). The good news is you can get it to taste of chilli (that'll be the cumin) without it being insanely hot. Why is chilli powder always so spicy? No need for food that hurts.

I think that's the case for perhaps most chilli powders with the exception of that used in the Indian sub continent. There the chilli powder is just ground chillies.

You get a few variants. For instance Kashmiri chilli powder is hotter due to the type of chilli that it's made of.

In case anyone's interested,

https://simpleindianrecipes.com/Homemad ... owder.aspx

Hih

Dibs

P.s. some households do use a spice blend that's already been made up. Either by "granny" or someone who's learnt. Or you can buy the commercially made version. In which case you'll just see them using some amount of this and no other spices. You'd still see garlic, ginger and salt go in.
By phil.p
https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/

are great for herbs and spices. You need a £30 order to get free P&P but it's not difficult.
I've bought from them for five years and haven't bought anything that wasn't first class yet.
Try the chilli coated peanuts. :D