A butchers block........ butchered.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8squared

Established Member
Reaction score
With the impending arrival of a new lathe i set about laying out a wood shopping list in readiness to make a mobile cart for it......... then i thought about what was in the corner of the garden getting very little use and was slowly getting covered by other non useful things.

This is what i was given when the next door neighbours moved house.... obviously it was in great condition when i got it but it went straight into the garden had a Record 52P vice attached and then got used as a welding table/workbench.

znof1t.jpg

Disassembled and all ready for planing.

2my7yol.jpg

The rails are the same thickness but just a different shape... ithought about ripping them to the same dimension but once built it wont make a difference so left them as is.

2hplgna.jpg

All done and looking much better... not sure what wood it is but its all laminated so plenty of variation in colour and grain which i like.

350mofb.jpg

Planing almost didn't end too well... took one piece out the planer then flipped it over and had this fall out... only once it was all planed did i find another one still in it's place.

2rcwd9l.jpg

Before and after of the tabletop.

It was like a banana so cut it to rough size then split that into two lengths each 8" wide as that's the maximum width of my planer... it will give me a 16" wide top and the base of lathe is 11" so plenty big enough.

11gsitz.jpg

The side that was open to the elements was still a little damp so have left it resting on some little triangle plastic things i had and put on my heater... the hope being that it is much drier tomorrow and i can plane it to final sizes.

wa5yj8.jpg

Back