9" table saw blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JungleJim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a Startrite TA145 table saw which takes a maximum size blade of 9 inches. I was looking for a good general purpose blade and was wondering if anyone else has a smaller table saw and any recommendations.

thanks

James

Most hobby users on here have 250mm table saws or 10" in old money, the difference between the two would not make a lot of difference on the cutting front, I can recommend Freud blades as being the best I have used, obviously the tooth count is very important to whether you are cross cutting or ripping.

Mike

Isn't there a fella, Doug, from cutting solutions on the forum? I have used them before, although not through the forum. No complaints there, either! :lol:
Hope this helps.

PS - I am not familiar with your saw model, but my wadkin ags 10, which is designed for a 10" blade, will take a 12". I may be wrong, but I think the riving knife is often the issue. It may be possible to reconfigure the riving knife position to accommodate a 250mm (10") blade. Or even a 235mm which I think is a fairly common size.

Things to consider when purchasing a blade are, the thickness of timber you will be cutting, the height of the riving knife, and the most important aspect to consider would be the the thickness of the riving knife in relation to the blade. If you need any more help please get in contact, happy to help :)

Popping this in in case others stumble across it in the future (and because I'm in the same boat).

I'm really struggling finding (on paper) high quality 230mm blades. Axminster have 3 which suit what I'm after, a rip, a cross cut and a general purpose blade.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axca...0064?queryID=75f0560abcb9f9a897ffa75330c12243
What I don't know if these are super high quality. Some things I figure are good to look out for are the heat dissipation cut-outs (don't know the proper name of them). But on high end saws, these seem to be squirly and on cheaper ones straight lines stamped out. I've read CMT are supposed to be good (and laser cut) but hard to get in the UK it seems and few options at that size. I look at these as a clue to quality, cheaply made are straight with no additional anti-vibration squiggles on the plate and expensively to produce blades have more... squiggles.

1648072140322.png

The kerf I think is another think to look for, I'm happy to make a riving knife to match but am aiming at 2.x mm. Anything super wide I can imagine bogging down the motor (which on my TA165 isn't very meaty). I gather for the 145 and 165 that you can't just throw a bigger blade in (for the same reason) so in hindsight I would buy a saw with 10' blades for more choice.

I have bought from Doug at cutting solutions the correct sized blades for my Startrite TA145. Both blades are German manufacture and of high quality one rip, one fine
Hope this helps
Nigel
024D1A28-64FA-408A-8D6A-36596F889DCA.jpeg
3C1448AB-C4F2-4E34-8E7B-64B265CFC759.jpeg

Back