8" / wide wheel / slow speed grinder recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I recently got my hands on a 200 x 40mm CBN wheel at a price that seemed too good to pass by. I now need a grinder to mount it on.
I'd prefer a slow speed model.
Compatibility with a 40mm wide wheel seems to be limiting my choices.
I looked into the new 8" full speed grinder that Record are about to launch but it is not recommended for CBN wheels - they didn't say why.
The Axminster Trade models only take 32mm wide wheels.
I would be grateful for any recommendations that are more affordable than Creusen ?

Just to note for anyone searching the back catalogue that I bought the Record 200mm 2800rpm grinder in the end. It's designed for 25+40mm wheels (factory fitted wheels were junk) and the longer end of the spindle was just right to take my CBN wheel plus bushes. The grinder spins the wheel just fine.

Thanks, useful video. My wheel has a full 40mm wide centre and the (latest model) record grinder's longer spindle turned out to be just right rather than being too short.

Thanks for posting. What do you think of the Record Power Grinder?
Have you used the standard wheels? If so, what did you think of the standard wheels?
Did you find changing to CBN gave you a great advantage?

I'm getting into wood turning and finding my Axminster Hobby Grinder isn't getting a good edge on the blades and wanting something better.

I like the record grinder. It's pretty well made. The original wheels suck. Poorly balanced and they were corroded to the shaft. They had to be hammered off. Record took it back - good customer service on the collection side of things - but then some muppet in service returned it to me with the same wheels still on after I'd specifically highlighted the need to change them (I had to hit them pretty darn hard to get them off the spindles). I have no desire to see an exploding wheel so I binned them without arguing any more.
Once I'd figured out the issues of tolerance and balance (see another post of mine) I got the CBN wheel nicely balanced up and it spins smoothly. CBN wheels are very nice.

Back