1st Router advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink Freud

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on buying my 1st router. I did search in here but the closest result was back in 2004 so here i am. Not too sure what i will be doing, other than detailing pic frames etc to start with, hopefully going on from there.

Should i be starting off with a 1/4" machine ? ...are the 1/2" ones harder to control?

Also what brands make sturdy mid range routers?

If it's small stuff then you can't really go wrong with something like a Makita palm router. Consider though, how you will clamp work up for routing if its very fine. You may be better served with a router table such as the Trend Craftpro which is extremely versatile.

But as Eric says, more information needed.

I bought a second hand one on gumtree for £20 and had a play with a couple of bits of eBay. Worked out what I wanted and bought a proper one and a router table.

F.

Search these forums for Katsu Router. It's a 1/4 inch and is a lot more controllable than a 1/2 inch but then of course you lose power and versatility... Think driving a Golf vs Flatbed. Depends what you want in the long run. I can't give you advice, wouldn't pretend to know enough, but if you want to 'try out' a router this is probably the one to go for. It has good reviews for the money and if it's your thing you won't have lost out if you feel the need for a bigger router later cost wise. Have a look at Wealden tools website. Their bits are highly recommended ,maybe a little dear but worth looking at the website just for Ron Fox's routing tips. One other thing, I might say is that you might be best of staying clear of sets of bits. Just my personal preference. I'd rather spend my money on three quality bits I use from wealden or similar than a box set of 15, most of which I never will. Just my humble opinion. There's plenty of router advice on here in past threads that says otherwise. Have a bit of a search around. There seems to be a router thread every other month, not sure why you're not seeing results since 2014?
Cheers
Chris

(took too long to type. Geordie stew beat me to it )

Hello,

I would strongly advise against a palm router. Get a plunge router for a first machine, it is most versatile. Something like a Trend T5 is a good size and reasonable cost for a pretty solid machine. It might be the only one you'll ever need.

Mike.

To be honest, I am new around here and a complete novice, so I am not really in a position to offer advice, but I did recently buy my first new router in over 20 years and so far it has worked out so I am happy to tell you about the choices I made.

I was clear I wanted a machine I could use in a table. An experienced user told me I would be better with a half rather than a quarter inch. I also wanted to be able to change bits etc from above the table rather than below. I was horrified by the cost of router lifts and did not want to muck about building my own. All this lead me to look at the Triton range. They are quite a bit cheaper than some of the big names and I was a bit suspicious, but they seemed to have a decent reputation. So I took the plunge - sorry about that - and bought one.

I am a few weeks into ownership now and I am increasingly pleased with my choice. I am finding there is a lot to get my head around in the routing world, but I am beginning to feel more confident in the kit I have. I have it working with a table mounted switch now and that helps. I have still to crack dust collection. I have one collector on the fence and have now found a tube (32mm internal) that works with the outlet from the router, but I am struggling to find a way to connect the two to my vac.

I did look at Trend - my second choice - but was scared off by some poor reviews and the extra cost.

All the best.

I'v had a Triton in a table and got totally peed off with having to get under the table to disable the switch lock when changing bits and getting back under the table to lock the depth once adjustments had been made, with the Triton router in the Triton table the depth adjustment when using a bearing guided bit is under the fence when fine adjusting, all in all a very badly designed unit.

Let the Flack begin.

Mike

woodbrains":jexfr5n9 said:
Hello,

I would strongly advise against a palm router. Get a plunge router for a first machine, it is most versatile. Something like a Trend T5 is a good size and reasonable cost for a pretty solid machine. It might be the only one you'll ever need.

Mike.

The palm router I had in mind has a plunging base as well as trimming and bevel. I guess I should have said "small".

I completely agree that you need something that can plunge if you decide on a router on its own vs a router table.

a la http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-rt0700cx2-router-trimmer-1-4-ax875577

YorkshireMartin":1w4p97t8 said:
woodbrains":1w4p97t8 said:
Hello,

Mike.

The palm router I had in mind has a plunging base as well as trimming and bevel. I guess I should have said "small".

I completely agree that you need something that can plunge if you decide on a router on its own vs a router table.

a la http://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-rt0700cx2-router-trimmer-1-4-ax875577

Hello,

Fair enough, looks good. I have a similar Bosch one, but haven't got the plunge base yet. But then I'm not short of a plunge router or seven.

I'm not sure what bad reviews the T5 gets that put Knotty Norm off one. They consistently get excellent reviews, they are quite well regarded routers, based on the excellent Elu 96. Can be had for £130 direct from Trend, which is a great deal, methinks.

Mike.

Routers are like every type of tool when first starting out. You dont want to waste money on something you might not like using.
But, like every kind of tool, you very soon wish you had bought a bigger, better one.
I was lucky in that my son who has been a carpenter / shopfitter for 20 years told me (a COMPLETE woodworking novice) to buy big to start with.

On his professional advice I bought a makita 1/2" router to put into my home made table. I have not regretted it one time. The makita comes with a screw for the base that allows you to have above table height adjustment just by drilling one hole in the top plate.
But I used the table so much I wore out the thread in the alloy base plate and had to make my own height adjuster. That cost me about 3 quid to make out of scraps, inifintely adjustable by a handle on the front of the table.
For general safety and to make bit changing in particular safe I fitted an NVR switch on the front of the table, that cost me nearly a tenner! No expense spent on my router table (g).

If you have money for space age lifts, all well and good, but if youre on a state pension, you dont need no stinkin lift! (lol)

So, after all that, I'm paying forwards the advice I got. Buy a 1/2".

P.S. That was 3 years ago, the makita is still perfect, and I now also have a 1/4" plunge and 2 x makita edge trimmers from a friend who got too old to use them. I love my routers.

Trend are a good make I recently bought the Trend 1/2" 15 bit set for £20 on Ebay. Best price now £26.50 inc p&p see item number 253025144343

Wow, thx for all the great replies :D Owing to the fact that i have no experience with these machines i am a little intimidated. I think i would prefer one with the dual handles, so that rules out the palm versions. I'm kinda leaning toward trend as a brand for some reason and prob a 1/4" for starters. Maybe the T5 could be a hot candidate. I will prob want to get into bench mounting at some point when im not so spatially challenged :oops:

Thx again guys for all the helpful comments ...very much appreciated :wink:

All 1/2" routers can be fitted with sleeves to allow 1/4" 6 mm, 8 mm , 12 mm, even 3/8" cutters.

1/4" routers can use 1/4" bits. end of story.

Routers are fabulous machines, but do need to be treated with respect. When you are going to use a router for the first few times, do a dry run without power on and make sure you know where to start and where to stop.

sunnybob":31h02roa said:
All 1/2" routers can be fitted with sleeves to allow 1/4" 6 mm, 8 mm , 12 mm, even 3/8" cutters.

1/4" routers can use 1/4" bits. end of story.

Routers are fabulous machines, but do need to be treated with respect. When you are going to use a router for the first few times, do a dry run without power on and make sure you know where to start and where to stop.

whichever i go with, i will as always, be watching some safety videos before doing any actual cutting, but it's always a good idea to mention that aspect :wink:

Just one aspect worth a mention is that plunging routers are generally safer than fixed base router if using them free hand, once you lift the router the bit goes inside the base and will not allow the router to tip over/cut if you put it down on the bench whilst its still turning.

Mike

I don't have much to add to what's been said already, except to say that if you can attend one of the many one or two day router training courses you'll discover that choice of router is actually pretty trivial compared to skill and knowledge in using a router.

I've met many beginners who, even after owning a router for some years, still don't get anything like the full benefit from it. And that's understandable, when you first spin up a router it screams like a banshee and shoots shavings all over the place. It's pretty scary until you fully understand what's going on, in fact it's one of those tools where it's actually quite difficult to teach yourself.

However, with just a little bit of practical, hands-on training, you'll have the confidence to get beyond that first initial shock, and then go on to learn what a fabulously versatile tool the router is.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back