Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Trevanion
I've seen absolute diabolical looking Wadkin DMs before that were more black than Wadkin green, give them a once over with a bit of thinners and they totally change into beauties that would command almost double the price :lol:. They have a lovely double stop mechanism which is super robust, just like the rest of the machine!

I wish we had farm sales like with gear like that out this way, usually it's more powdered rust than actual machine :roll:
By TFrench
The auctioneer was hilarious - there was a really knackered old bench with a record vice and literally no one would buy it. He got down to a pound and eventually said "come on, CRAFTSMEN used this" like that made it worth something! :lol:

I'd never studied a DM before, the double stop is pretty funky. There's a spare as well in the box of stuff that came with it.
By Trevanion
TFrench wrote:The auctioneer was hilarious - there was a really knackered old bench with a record vice and literally no one would buy it. He got down to a pound and eventually said "come on, CRAFTSMEN used this" like that made it worth something! :lol:

I was at a farm sale once and there was a pallet of about 20 ancient, homemade, odd-sized, rotten concrete blocks which nobody wanted. "These have still got plenty of life left in them! Look!" as he kicks one of the blocks and a chunk falls off :lol:

TFrench wrote:I'd never studied a DM before, the double stop is pretty funky. There's a spare as well in the box of stuff that came with it.

It's a lovely thing for when you're doing joinery being able to do both the mortice and the haunch in a single pass without having to adjust stops like on the older Sedgwick models. You just flick the stopper around when you need it and then flick it out of the way, the ball detent makes it feel kind of tactical when you do it too.
By AES
I think the word "adventure" is being used in its widest sense by the OP. Of course metal working COULD be dangerous - along with just about any other activity you care to mention - but having often visited India on business I've seen some very dangerous practices in workshops there. What exactly is it that you're trying to say?

In general there are a LOT of discussions on safe practices in all areas on this Forum - as you would know if you had looked around many posts on this Forum.
By TFrench
Like AES says, not sure what you're getting at. I'm a sheet metal worker for a living, I'd like to think I have a bit of an idea what I'm doing. The adventure part is more related to the cool tools and restoration stuff I'm doing...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
By TFrench
Big progress on the sander this week. Not up to wallace's standard but I'm happy with it.
Before shot as a reminder:
ImageSander before
I tried to power it up and the switch was dead - I could override it but it wouldn't hold in. Luckily Wallace has a spare that is on it's way here as part of a trade... One of my most hated jobs is paint prep but I just couldn't leave it looking so gross. I've a feeling that as the switch was playing up it became the paint and glue mixing table... I have a large pot of Reseda Green for painting the deckel mill (can never have too many projects, right?) and its a nice enough colour for the sander.
ImageSander painted
ImageSander painted 2
Now I'm just waiting on the switch to get it running. I will also need to fabricate a dust collector for the belt side, and make a platen for the belt as well. Productive week though!
By Trevanion
That’s looking lovely! The colour almost looks like something you would see on the original machine.

Did I miss a negative comment or something? :?
By Droogs
looking good Tony
By AES
+1.Looks VERY tidy. Pity I haven't got the space for such a device in my shop. Well done Sir.

P.S. I didn't realise the post I reacted to (above - now deleted it seems) was from a spammer (how does one know?). I just didn't understand his point about metalworking being dangerous - so can crossing the road (specially in India which it seems is where he came from)! And YES I have tried crossing the road there!
By TFrench
Thanks guys. Let's be honest, I dont have space either, but I've wanted one of these for ages! :D Realistically I think the metal spinning lathe will find a home at work once I get it running - makes much more sense for it to live there with all the other metalwork gear. I just find it easier to have projects at home as I can work on them whenever I get a spare moment instead of having to make the effort to drive to the workshop. I recently got started on the deckel FP2 tart-up/recommission as well - got the toolmakers table stripped, oiled and moving freely (plus a paintjob):
ImageFp2 table
Articulates in pretty much every direction! Phenomenal piece of engineering, really looking forward to having it running and looking like the quality machine it is, not a scabby old knacker.
By TFrench
Gremmy wrote:An absolutely thrilling read! Just spent 35 mins going through this thread and should have been making sandwiches for work...
Keep it up and keep posting, this is giving me ideas that the lady will not be happy with :D

You're welcome :lol: First child is expected any day now so I fully expect to have to rein in my addiction...
By TFrench
Massive thanks to Wallace - we did a trade on some parts and the new switch he sent works perfectly. Sander is up and running! Still need to sort the extraction (got most of the parts for that) and the platen for the belt but its getting there. I ordered a couple of 400kg machine skates from axminster and got them ready for the morticer and sander. I had to cut extra steel out of the morticer one and add riv-nuts to make it narrow enough but it fits a treat now. With the skates prepared I bought the morticer home and used the engine crane to unload it and place it and the sander on their respective skates.
Imagesander finished
Imagemorticer home
The morticer location was always a problem in the past as I couldn't get anything long into it without "walking" it out into the middle of the workshop, which was brutal. Since the wadkin is a tad heavier I've opted for wheels :lol:
And just to prove I can actually use my kit and don't just mess around with machines I made this fella. Disgustingly early I know but I think shop time is about to become even scarcer...
ImageSnowman