Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By xy mosian
TFrench,
You are clearly enjoying every minute. The pleasure in repairing machines the likes of these I can sense from here. To have all required tooling available as well, fantastic.
I was thinking of your thread protector as I read another thread about a stuck drive centre. If the screws holding the top cap were countersunk, then the protector could be used as a 'jack' to force out stuck centres.
This is a great thread to read and keep up with. Thank you.
xy
By TFrench
xy mosian wrote:TFrench,
You are clearly enjoying every minute. The pleasure in repairing machines the likes of these I can sense from here. To have all required tooling available as well, fantastic.
I was thinking of your thread protector as I read another thread about a stuck drive centre. If the screws holding the top cap were countersunk, then the protector could be used as a 'jack' to force out stuck centres.
This is a great thread to read and keep up with. Thank you.
xy

Thanks, I'm happier than a pig in sh*t when I'm in the workshop making stuff! All the hours of watching youtube machinists are paying off :lol: My thread protector works exactly as you describe - I have to jack all my centres out as I have a solid spindle. I didn't have countersunk screws when I did it - I'm considering fitting some though, just so theres no protrusions to catch a finger on.

This weekend I got the pantograph running at last. Invertek inverters are fantastic - I wouldn't recommend anything else to be honest. Even comes in IP66 so you dont have to dustproof it. There was some minor "confusion" with the wiring of the potentiometer but anyone can make mistakes, right? :oops: Once I figured out which macro it needed to be running it worked straight away (check me out, talking clever stuff!) (hammer)
ImagePantograph inverter
New motor and inverter fitted, all wired up and you can see on the top of it the aluminium bracket for the control panel. Lifted it off the skate and dropped it in position - it's right on the edge of what the engine crane can lift, which is a little nerve wracking...
ImageIn place
And with that the only thing to do was test it:
Imagefirst use
(the first squiggle looked like a 2 so I rolled with it)
Still quite a bit to do - get/make clamps for the tables, make a smaller tracer pin, make letter carriers....

And finally, in what is possibly my greatest ever bit of skip diving (and its an illustrious career) I found this beauty:
ImageD-bit grinder
(and the machine levelling pads) It's a D-bit grinder, specifically for making engraving cutters. I've powered it up and the run capacitor seems to be shot but other than that I think its just surface rust. What are the chances? :D
By phil.p
xy mosian wrote:TFrench,
xy

That's how they're used on solid spindle lathes like Record CLs.
By xy mosian
phil,
That I didn't know. Nowt new then!

TFrench,
What glorius sh*t to be in.
Do I see you moving into cycle powered machinery as well?

xy
By TFrench
With the pantograph project pretty much done mechanically there has been a dirty, greasy heavy old iron restoration shaped hole in my life. Enter stage left....
Imageassembly
A Charles Taylor metal spinning lathe. Because everyone needs one of them. Obviously. Metal spinning has interested me for a long time as it brings together woodturning and tinbashing. Plus it looks incredibly cool. (youtube it if you've never seen it done!)

Restoration wise I don't think it is going to be that much of a job to sort. Bearings seem ok, the green and cream seems to be original and 90% complete so I'll leave it. The tailstock sticks a bit - I have a feeling there is a thrust washer missing. Main issue is the motor. Original is a monster dual speed 4hp 3 phase jobby, mounted on an even more enormous bracket that goes on the back of the headstock. An inverter big enough to run it would overload my electic supply so I think the gameplan is going to be fitting a new smaller motor on a more sensibly sized bracket, and fitting a VFD in the right hand leg.
Imagebuilt up
Imagetools, chucks and forms
The main reason I bought this one (aside from it being cheap) was that it was advertised as coming with a couple of tools. Turned out it came with this massive selection, 3x proper chucks and a box of nylon forms. The guy also gave me a full set of instruction DVDs as well which should come in handy. He has also offered to come and give me a lesson when I get it running which would be helpful!
By wallace
I've always fancied trying metal spinning, I nearly bought a set of old tools from an antique fair but the price was scary. I've got the promotional film on 15mm cine film showing spinning being done. I cant remember the machine maker. They were painted a deep red and you could add loads of extras to make it into a saw, lathe, bandsaw etc
By Keith 66
I havent looked at this thread for some time so all i can say is "i am not worthy".
I thought i was bad buying machines & selling a few, i realise i am but an amateur!
Keep it up. By the way, dont want a big acdc tig welder do you?
By TFrench
Keith 66 wrote:I havent looked at this thread for some time so all i can say is "i am not worthy".
I thought i was bad buying machines & selling a few, i realise i am but an amateur!
Keep it up. By the way, dont want a big acdc tig welder do you?

I'm an amateur too in most things, I'm just lucky to have the space and means to do what I do. It's become something I really enjoy, and pretty much self funding as well. The spinning is something I've always wanted to have a bash at as it's something I could possibly incorporate into the day job. Maybe someone will want a fancy finial on a boiler or something. :lol:
I recently bought an ac/dc tig so I can have a go at aluminium repairs but I was diddled on it - seller claimed it was fine but I can't get it to work. It's in for repair now. If it can't be fixed I may well be interested in yours!

Wallace, I can't believe that tiddly little coronet had the beans to spin ally! Makes me think I'll be ok fitting a smaller motor than the original on mine.
By TFrench
Nice and easy job today. The wadkin lathe uses 1 1/8" toolposts and I had a few of the modular rests I wanted to be able to use. Bought a length of the right size stock and knocked out 3 new rests. The one on the right is the original, I made 2 of the same style and one with a square shoulder to use with the hollowing rest I picked up recently. Really good exercise in making repeatable parts, its definitely easier than doing it on the wood lathe! :lol:

ImageToolposts
By TFrench
Progress report... Tailstock on the metalspinning lathe is seized - I think it was missing a thrust washer, I spun it to retract it and it's galled up and won't budge. Need to get the porta-pak home from work so I can introduce it to Mr Flame... :evil:
Went to a farm auction where I spent an enjoyable morning with andytoolsntat buying nice wadkin stuff... Had to go back with the lorry to pick it all up :lol:
EPA spindle moulder:
ImageEPA spindle
BSW ripsaw
Image20190914_110015
RM planer (what a monster - 20" cut!)
Image20190907_132801
BGY sander (keeping this, been after one for ages)
Image20190907_152520
And a DM morticer (again, keeping as its more wadkinny than my multico and has stacks of chisels):
ImageDM morticer

I've had a session cleaning the morticer and it looks like a different machine:
ImageDM cleaned up
Still some work to do but its getting there.
By TFrench
Ran into a problem with the RM that I hadn't noticed before I bid on it, the castings for the infeed support roller had been cracked off - I assume by people dropping boards onto them, and the roller had also gone walkies. I've made good progress on a fix the last couple of days.
ImageWadkin RM roller
Turned 2 "eyes" to match the size and shape of the original castings, then got a bit of EN8 round bar that I turned to match the original. Next job is to cut the broken bits off, jig it all up and weld it back together.