Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By TFrench
I mentioned a while ago about a barn full of machines I had the opportunity to buy. Today the deal was done, so here's a few pics of some of what there is. I will sell most of it on as it's too big for my home workshop but there are a few things I'm going to keep. If there's anything you want, speak up! :D
240v (from new!) wadkin cross cut saw
Imagewadkin 240v BRA
240v Multico k3 morticer
ImageMultico 240v morticer
Danckaerts dovetailing machine
ImageDanckaerts dovetailer
Union pedestal grinder - I'll probably restore this and keep it for work.
Imageunion grinder
Startrite 240v tilting arbor table saw. I might keep this as its probably nicer than my Kity saw.
Imagestartrite tilt arbor saw
Flottjet planer thicknesser - never heard of this brand before?
Imageflottjet planer
Big SCM thicknesser
Imagescm thicknesser
Very BIG Sagar sliding table saw
Imagesagar sliding table saw
There's also a wadkin sliding table panel saw - think its a BGP but it's too covered in rubbish to get a photo of, and a 6ft planer. Like I say, if anyone is interested in anything let me know. Looks like I'm getting into the machine tool sales business!
By SVB
Wow - you have been busy.

Nice ML7 you got there, has both the gear box and spindle clutch that are rare and sought after add-one that command quite a premium on ebay etc.

Good result - look forward to seeing how things progress.

Simon
By TFrench
SVB wrote:Wow - you have been busy.

Nice ML7 you got there, has both the gear box and spindle clutch that are rare and sought after add-one that command quite a premium on ebay etc.

Good result - look forward to seeing how things progress.

Simon
Yeah, I've gotten it all cleaned up now and got it in dad's garage - gave it to him for his birthday! It's a long bed as well - I haven't seen one for sale yet with everything this one has. It's got high and low speed direct on the motor switch. He's over the moon with it - he had a round bed Drummond before that you could only take a few tenths of cut before it stalled!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
By SVB
TFrench wrote:]Yeah, I've gotten it all cleaned up now and got it in dad's garage - gave it to him for his birthday! It's a long bed as well - I haven't seen one for sale yet with everything this one has. It's got high and low speed direct on the motor switch. He's over the moon with it - he had a round bed Drummond before that you could only take a few tenths of cut before it stalled!

Sounds great. Would be great to see some pics when you get the chance.

Simon
By F Flinstone
Brought back plenty of memory's with the "Harrison" lathe, our school metelworking room had about four or five of them, fifty years later I still love metalworking, I didn't like woodworking the teacher was also the technical drawing teacher and a turnip :evil: , thats why I now want to do more wood work, starting from scratch.Ff
By TFrench
Slow progress on all fronts recently! I have got the inverters for the wadkin lathe and the bandsaw now. Mounted the bandsaw one and the buttons just came proud of the casing, so I made a 1/2" spacer piece for the louvred panel and got it all fitted up:
Image20181011_125014
The motor is refitted and wired into the enclosure, I just need to connect it all up now. Then its just a case of getting the castor system working and it can come home.

First attempt at moving machines from the farm went ok - all the ones that could be moved by sack truck went into the van. Next trip only bagged the SCM thicknesser as I'd not realised how heavy the dovetailer is :lol: Finally managed to coordinate manpower, trailer and tractor to have another crack at moving machinery - successfully this time!
Image20181010_140505
Image20181010_142954
The chap has decided to keep the startrite table saw and wadkin radial arm for now, which I'm kind of gutted about as they're the ones I really wanted for myself.
I have cleaned up the morso guillotine now its back in my workshop at home though, quite pleased with how its come back from being a bit of a rusty wrecker.
Imagemorso guillotine
By TFrench
Oh boy, its been a while since I updated this. Lots of things have gone on since the last update! I sold off all the bits from the last trailer load except the large yellow grinder which I've kept for work. Then as I was perusing facebook marketplace as you do I spotted a bridgeport milling machine, which was listed as having lots of other machines with it. Arranged to look, turned out to be a patternmakers workshop with a load of nice sanding machines. (plus 4x bridgeports, all knackered!) Did a deal on all the woodworking stuff and the BIG swift milling machine.
ImageSanders
ImageSander and mill
Went back a week later with manpower and a friend with a farm telehandler. A mild spanner in the works when we opened the double doors to the yard and discovered 3 steps that everything would have to come down! We improvised and nothing (and nobody) got hurt! 2 tons of mill coming down that slope was slightly hairy.
ImageInteresting move
My plan was to keep the single disc phillipson sander at home and fit a VFD to it, but when I got it in my garage I realised I was being a bit silly :oops: It was gigantic and the shape of the base meant I couldn't get it close to the wall, so it had to go unfortunately.

In the meantime we finally got the electricians to sort out the 3 phase power at work so I could get the harrison lathe fired up which was the original point of this thread (only a year after getting it) All my wiring was good with the motor swap so we are back in business on that front. They also powered the Swift mill up, at which point I realised I'd dropped a colossal clanger and bought a CNC machine. I knew it was but I assumed there would be a simple way to make the table feed so I could use it as a semi manual machine. Apparently not - so there I was with 2 tons of mill I couldn't use and a pretty sick feeling :(
To be continued...
By TFrench
Because I'd bought all this stuff I had to make a bit of effort and get my other toys home. The startrite bandsaw and wadkin lathe both came in pretty easily - engine crane was about on it's limit with the headstock but it managed it! I posed it next to the graduate just for a size comparison - I always thought the grad was a decent lump until this came home! (admittedly it is on a cart and 3x3 bearers, but still!)
ImageWadkin RS and graduate
Then I realised putting it in the same position wouldn't give me enough room for outboard turning so I assembled it against the wall to the left. In theory should I be mad enough I could turn 3ft diameter - should be enough!
ImageBuilding the RS
I removed the horrible ugly control box which left some great big holes in the door. A replacement door was expensive so I used P38 and a dremel to recarve the wadkin logo. Not perfect but better than it was!
ImageLathe door
Not a great pic as it was just before I got it running and it was still a bit of a mess, but you can see the VFD enclosure, tool rack mounted on the wall and the wheeled cart I adapted to hold all the faceplates and chuck bits. Against the wall is also the gap bed tool rest. This is a bare reproduction casting I bought from someone on instagram who made a pattern and had a couple made. That will be my first major machining job, coming soon hopefully!
ImageWadkin RS running
By TFrench
If you've stuck with it this long, here's the resolution to the "whoops I bought a mill I can't use" saga. A friend rang us one friday night to let us know about a tractor auction happening the next day. He'd been to the preview and said I may be interested in some of it as he knows I buy and sell machines. We went for a quick look as it was local and I couldn't believe how much good stuff there was. I nearly bottled it and talked myself out of going the next day but in the end we decided we had to go. First time I'd ever been to an auction so it was slightly nerve wracking. Turned out better than I could have ever hoped - we came away with 2 incredible milling machines and lots of other bits for properly silly prices.
Deckel FP1&2 mills:
ImageFP1 &2
The FP1 runs and has lots of accessories with it - I've since found out the boring head and riser block it is on are incredibly rare and probably worth more than I paid for everything at the auction.
Something I'd never seen before - an adjustable eccentric chuck
ImageEccentric chuck
Toolpost grinder:
ImageToolpost grinder
This is something that they threw in with a boring head I bought as no one bid on it. When I got it back and did some research it turned out to be a centering microscope - you can use the crosshairs in it to get your workpiece perfectly on centre.
ImageCentering microscope
Among the other cool stuff was this camelback straight edge
ImageCamelback straight edge
Finally I got this Elliott pillar drill for the princely sum of £25
ImageElliott drill
I've done a quick resto on it and given it to my dad for all the help he gives me!
ImageElliott drill
By TFrench
I try! I'd like to be able to start making them all pay for themselves at some point, that's the dream! In the meantime it can just be fixing my own problems. I'm currently working on a wadkin evenwood ripsaw - got a braze repair to do on the fence casting so I'll post pictures of that when I do it.

By TFrench
Now we're pretty well caught up with the recent acquisitions, here's what I'm currently up to. Bought a wadkin evenwood ripsaw on ebay that looked horrendous and also had been dropped and the fence casting broken. Obviously no-one else was daft enough to bid, but my dad has just bought some TIG brazing rods and was itching to try them out :lol: I spent good friday having a thoroughly enjoyable day cleaning and painting the saw and making all the parts that were missing:
ImageEvenwood saw
ImageEvenwood rear panel
ImageEvenwood painted
I was really happy to get it all done in a day - just left the fence to sort. This is the cracked section after I'd removed everything I could:
ImageBroken casting
I sandblasted the rust from the repair area:
ImageSandblasted
We ground a vee on either side of the repair, got it clamped up as well as possible (not easy due to the way the crack ran and it being a C shaped casting), preheated with the gas torch and set to with the TIG:
ImageTig brazing
Once we'd got it as good as we could, it was into the duvet to slow the cooling down. I ground it down roughly to neaten it up once it had cooled and it seems to be a success - it all rings when you tap it with a hammer. Tomorrow I'll get the inside ground back, re-tap the holes and try it on the fence rail. Fingers crossed!
ImageBrazed!
By AES
Blimey "T", if that repair works (and it looks like you're well on the way) then you really have achieved something to be proud of. Well done, please let us know how it works out.
By novocaine
did you "v" out the crack before you welded it? if not then whilst it should hold you've only done a bead and about 3mm penetration on the weld so it will still have the crack and it may go again in the future.

otherwise, cracking bit of work to take on, welding cast is always scary, especially the pops and bangs you can get when you hit spots.