Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By TFrench
gregmcateer wrote:I know jack - .... about metal working, but even I can see that is a proper job. And you've got some serious space there! What does your firm do, other than source awesome machines and various other associated pieces of tooling?
We do industrial insulation and cladding, so lots of tin bashing in stainless and aluminium. It's a small family business and we all mess around with old stuff for hobbies - cars, stationary engines, old woodworking machinery!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
By TFrench
So I've hit the motherlode of old machinery. College had to shut down the woodwork department because they couldn't afford to fit DC braking to the machines (or didn't want to) and now it needs to be removed ASAP to make way for the "marketing office"
So in no particular order:
ImageWadkin RS
ImageWadkin BGY
ImageUnion polisher
ImageMyford ML7
There's also two big startrite bandsaws coming home with me - hopefully I've already got a buyer for one, and the other will donate it's 240v motor and switchgear to mine and save me fitting an inverter to it! I only went for the lathe but they were selling it all so cheap I've had everything - should get the lathe for almost nothing I hope! They also have a wadkin 12" sliding table saw - a 12BGP and an 18" planer thicknesser - a U/OS.
ImageWadkin goodies
I'm leaving them for now as they aren't desperate to get rid - tempted to get the planer when I have room, clean it and fit a DC brake and flog it on - its in mint condition apart from the surface rust on the top.
By Farmer Giles
I'm drooling :) That is one very nice haul!

I once bought a very nice Tom Senior Light vertical milling machine from a school for peanuts. The head of the Resistant materials department (woodwork and metalwork in old money) put it on Ebay. He spelled the name wrong so I was the only bidder. He said it was 3 phase, it was single, and a brand new motor. He said it was Imperial, it was metric. If he had listed it correctly he would have got a very good price as they are sought after machines for model engineering.
By TFrench
Who are we to argue with other people's cock ups! :D

Picked up the haul on friday - borrowed a genie lifter which made life easier - not sure how else we'd have moved it all! This is one of the bandsaws coming out:
Imagestartrite bandsaw removal
I had time to have a proper look at them on sunday and in the back of one I even found the micro adjuster for the fence. Result. Unfortunately the single phase one's motor spins much faster than the one in mine so I can't use it. Back to putting an inverter in it.
By TFrench
I've sold all the machines I didn't want now, and I've made my money back on the deal - and I've still got the wadkin lathe and the myford (given it to dad for his birthday!) Got the wadkin checked on my quick 3 phase testing rig at work and as expected it runs like a clock. Can't wait to start using it properly. I've made progress with the Harrison too - got the 240v motor out and am about ready to swap the 415v one back in. Once thats done I can move it back into it's final position.
In other tool acquisition news I've got the chance of clearing a local workshop full of industrial sized woodworking kit - if I get it out, clean it up and sell it on I get a cut of the profits - should work well. (or I'll just end up keeping the bits I want!) Can stick some pics up if anyone is interested when I get started on it?
Today I also picked up this:
From a terribly described facebook ad. From the pictures I thought it was a bench sized drill but when I got there and saw it I just rolled with it! Somewhat sweaty work deadlifting those chunks of iron into the van. Its a Grimston Electriska geared head drill. Not sure yet whether to keep it or sell when I've done it up - its possibly a bit excessive for my workshop (so is a wadkin RS though, right?), but its a lovely old machine. According to lathes.co.uk its a very early one with the gear levers on the right hand side of the head. So far it looks to be missing the rack the head winds up and down on but thats about it. All the pick-off gears are there, although one is missing a few teeth. Not bad for £80!
By TFrench
Had a real stroke of luck with the drill - the lady I bought it off still had the rack for the head in her garage so I went and grabbed that on Friday. Took advantage of the warm weather to clean the rust and paint off the column, base and table and get them painted and re-assembled. Once that was done I could lift the head back on with the engine crane.
I wired a new flex and plug onto it and fired it up - smoke poured out the motor but I think it was just a bit of oil that had leaked - it runs perfect now. Now the head isnt rocking around on the floor I can clean it off and get it painted to match. The only faults I can find for now are one of the pick off gears is missing 4 teeth and the two locking levers for the table on the column are snapped. Think I'm going to keep it as I've already got someone after my old startrite drill! It doesn't actually take up any more floorspace either...

Last week Dad was clearing out one of his sheds and I picked up this vice - no before pics but a good clean and splash of hammerite and its good as new. It was missing jaws so I've got a new set fitted. Been after a nice vice with quick release for ages!
By colonel-cueball
I have a number 6 and its a decent lift, surprised it made it all the way up here to the wilds of Scotland given it wasn't overly well packed by the poster (but hey it was collection only till I cheekily asked if he would drop it off just down the road at a parcel store -yeah ok I know the place, I think I paid £45 for mine and £15 to get it brought up, not overly bad.
By wallace
Your RS has the upgraded bearings. A big roller bearing on the outboard side and a pair of high precision matched bearings on the inboard. I would take the cover plate off and check the grease because replacements are silly money
By TFrench
Thanks Wallace. I think I saw that on eBay and thought it looked like your work. What grease of grease should it have in it? I know it's been kept greased as all the nipples are covered in it but I haven't had time to open it up yet. I'm considering swapping the belt for a rubber one while I'm at it as well to eliminate the clicking from the join.

By wallace
The grease doesn't have to be anything special, just a bog standard stuff from a garage. Its not as if the spindle runs at high speed.
I've bought proper belts which have a scarf joint and they send you a small amount of the special adhesive. Generally they don't send enough. Ideally you want them to make the belt up then it can be heated and cured properly. Only downside is you have to pull the spindle out to slip the belt over.
They are pretty expensive, like £50 as well. I ordered one once and it was an inch too small. I found a guy on ebay who makes conveyor belts and got him to make a 3' wide belt so I just cut it up and now have a load of belts. It was the same price as ordering one belt to the RS spec
By TFrench
Is there much to pulling the spindle out? Think I may have seen one of your threads on Canadian woodworking where you made a spanner for pulling the spindle? If you want to sell one of the belts, let me know, it'll save me getting one made up.

By wallace
Its not too bad just take both end caps off, undo the nut on the inboard side and shove a stick inside the morse taper and hit with a suitable hitty thing. Pull the spindle out just enough to slip the drive belt on and be carefull not to drop the spacer that's between the stepped pulley and the main casting. The stepped pulley doesn't have any grub bolts. Then wiggle/ tap the spindle back through. The inboard bearings might try and push out so put the end cap back on the keep them in place.
You have to unbolt the motor and its support to loop the other end of the belt.
Alternatively you can always put up with the click click noise :D
If you message me your address I will send you a belt
By TFrench
Some progress, finally! Grimston drill has been degreased, painted and moved into position - much harder work than moving my old startrite! I still have a few jobs to do - there's a couple of handles that have snapped but to fix them I need the lathe up and running... Also need to make a new gear for one of the speed changing gears - the largest is missing 3 teeth. I have found a cutter of the right tooth form among all the stuff I got in a job lot so I should be able to make one of my own. In theory...
ImageGrimston Drill
And then today this landed in the workshop:
ImageElliott shaper
I've wanted one for ages, watched loads of videos on youtube and then this came up pretty close by at a reasonable price. It seems in good condition, everything is tight with pretty minimal backlash. The cross feed all works as well, so I'm hopeful there won't be much of an issue getting it back to work. It has been converted to a 240v 1hp motor instead of the 415v 2hp motor it should have but I'm not sure how much that will affect it. The vice that came with it is a bit naff as well, but I have a decent spare.