Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By n0legs
Steve Maskery wrote:
monkeybiter wrote:Out of practise?

Definitely. Some days I feel like a beginner again.

S

We all have those days my friend :D

Looking good =D>
By Steve Maskery
Today I have assembled both doors, on my own, and it has been the most physical work I have done for ages, I've had sweat dripping off my nose. I hope you aren't eating your tea. Really hard work. The problen is that while all the joints went together snugly when dry, once they get a bit wet with glue the fibres swell enough to make it tight. Very tight. Especially where I have double twin tenons, that's a lot of surface area (which is the whole point of the joint, of course) to grab.

But I am getting a bit ahead of myself.

The first job was to make a wedgeboard. Using the same wedge that I used for the mortices as a guide, I cut a triangular notch in a piece of scrap. Note that I am not sliding the workpiece up the wedge, just using the wedge as a spacer to keep the board at the right angle whilst I push them both forward.

P1040907.JPG

Then, after thicknessing a board to the right size and cross-cutting it to make short, wide pieces, I can cut wedges which are exactly the same angle as the flares of the mortice. I flip the workpiece between each cut to keep the grain straight.

P1040908.JPG

P1040909.JPG

This was the point when it started to get difficult. I'm really glad I was using Cascamite and not PVA. It took me ages, and with all my strength, to get these doors assembled. But eventually I managed.

P1040910.JPG

The doors are both nice and planar

P1040911.JPG

and there is less than 2mm difference in the diagonals. I can live with that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By monkeybiter
Are your wedges between the tenons and the mortice walls, tightening the joint? Or are they in a notch in the tenon, spreading the tenon in the mortice?

I only ask because it looks like the former, but I've only ever heard of the latter [shows what I know!].
By Steve Maskery
They are the former, MB.
You can do either. For Ray's doors I did the latter. Don't ask me for a Why?, because I don't have a Because.
The result is pretty much the same for either. Because the edge of the tenon is face-grain, and modern glues are stronger than the wood they bond, the tenon becomes fan-shaped in both cases.
If this door ever comes apart, I shall give up woodwork and take up knitting.
Last edited by Steve Maskery on 15 Jul 2016, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
By phil.p
I did read somewhere (but I can't remember where) that the wedges should always be down the outside of the tenon, as otherwise you risk either breaking the side off the tenon (which weakens it) or running a split into the rail. I had always assumed them to be best in a cut.
By Steve Maskery
Running them into a slit is fine, but it is good practice to drill a stop hole to prevent that from happening.
S
By Steve Maskery
Although the existing doors were a temporary fix, I did use the proper hinges. These are high quality ball-bearing butts. I transferred their positions from the frame to the doors. A spacer underneath the rod gives me the clearance I need (the spacer fell out for this photo, but you can see that it is there), then cut out the hinge recesses with router and chisel.

P1040914.JPG

P1040913.JPG

Then it was a case of cutting some cladding and giving each piece a coat of paint, especially the groove and tongue.

P1040915.JPG

So now they are ready for hanging, which is happening on Sunday, all being well. I've roped in Ray, Pete Maddex and Lurker, so we should have enough muscle. I've been lugging these around on my own and they are heavy, but two people holding and two people screwing should be a doddle... Usual inducements will be on offer.

I need to get some panel pins from Screwfix before then. They do some sheradised ones which we used on Ray's, and they were very good. I've already bought some bolts so we should be good to go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Eric The Viking
lurker wrote:Press ganged is the word you are looking for
Yes I can see that. After all he's threatened you with hanging...
By Steve Maskery
Ach, stop whinging, you volunteered. At the very least you didn't take one step back.
Any time after 9.30 gents, please. See you Sunday.
By Steve Maskery
Good idea. I'll stand around with a camera whilst the others sweat and strain with the doors. I don't see a problem with that! :)
By CHJ
Steve Maskery wrote:Good idea. I'll stand around with a camera whilst the others sweat and strain with the doors. I don't see a problem with that! :)

I see, and I suppose it will be edited to show it was the two screwing-up not the marker-outer that caused that 2mm gap difference.
Steve Maskery wrote:.... ., but two people holding and two people screwing should be a doddle... ..