Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Steve Maskery
I've just got Pete's heron joke.

After gluing up the members, there was quite a bit of planing to do, but they have stayed pretty straight and true. Not perfect, but not bad either.

So I marked them all at the same time and cut them to length.
P1040860.JPG

I rather wish I'd left some horns on but I didn't. I was quite shocked to find that one stile was only just long enough. Less than a mm to trim. I thought I'd left several inches.

Then it was time to pull out the mortiser and cut 28 mortices. The top and bottom mortices are twinned because of the thickness, the centre rail needs just one.

I looked up mortising in Ellis, just to see what he said, as I don't do big stuff like this very often. He doesn't say much, but he obviously doesn't like them:

"Double tenons [I know them as twins] should be looked upon as a necessary evil and be sparingly employed, as two thin tenons are not equal in strength to one thick one of corresponding substance." Hmm. I really think I don't agree with that at all. In a thick door, the joint becomes more evenly distributed, the surface area for glue is doubled and the beam strength is unaltered. Methinks he is mistaken.

However, it is true that they are more of a challenge, as not only does each tenon have to fit its own mortice well, but they have to be exactly the same distance apart as the mortices, or else each one fouls the entry of the other.

So to handle that I don't alter the setting of the morticer itself, I simply cut one mortice

P1040861.JPG

and then insert a 25mm spacer behind the workpiece to cut its twin

P1040862.JPG

The bottom rail has two pairs

P1040863.JPG

Finally, each one was set on a wedge to cut the flares for the wedges

P1040879.JPG

This bit was a pain actually, as there was a lot of faffing about with that roller stand. I think it would have been better to have just chopped out the flares with my 1/2" mortice chisel and a mallet. I still have the mallet...

The next job will be to cut the tenons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Steve Maskery
Actually the next job will be to kick myself up the bottom. I've made a cake this evening, and just gone to see if it was done. The oven is empty and the cake tin is still sitting on the worktop, waiting to be put in the oven...

Edit: I've just noticed that this is the 2000th reply in this thread... :)
By Steve Maskery
Rhubarb and ginger, a 90 minute job.
By Eric The Viking
n0legs wrote:
Chrispy wrote:Fruit cake?

That's a bit mean.
I know he's odd, but he's harmless :lol:

Mostly harmless. I'm not eating raw cake mix for anyone :-)*

E.

*OK - might lick the spoon I suppose.
By Steve Maskery
Having completed the mortices, the next job is to cut the corresponding tenons.

The rails are a bit big to be held in place just by a little toggle clamp, so I used a couple of trigger clamps to be on the secure side.

P1040885.JPG

The tenons need to be longer than my saw can manage, so there is a bit of hand work to do.

P1040898.JPG

The jig automatically takes into account the thickness of the kerf of the blade. The result is a perfect tenon that doesn't need any fettling. This is the centre rail, leaving a 12mm setback for the T&G cladding. There is 0.15mm difference in setback on each side :)

P1040901.JPG

For the twin tenons there are four cuts that need to be made in exactly the right place. The first is made with the jig closed

P1040902.JPG

The spacer fits my mortice exactly, so too will the first tenon

P1040903.JPG

Remember that spacer I used when cutting the twin mortices? Well I use the same spacer to move the top carriage over by exactly the same amount, in order to cut the second tenon

P1040904.JPG

P1040905.JPG

Again the tenons need to be lengthened, so the waste between the them is bandsawn out and cleaned out with a chisel, but the end result is this:

P1040906.JPG

Now is that good or is that good?

Five joints down, seven to go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Steve Maskery
Thank you. Though I do have a confession to make. I set the workpiece up back to front. The result was that I cut into the jig itself and caught the blade with a steel lock nut which keeps one of the nylon runners in place. I've chipped a few teeth. I'm particularly annoyed as it was a brand new blade, I've only ripped a few dozen metres with it. Entirely preventable and stupid.
By Steve Maskery
monkeybiter wrote:Out of practise?

Definitely. Some days I feel like a beginner again.

S