A box fit for a future King & Queen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

We were commissioned to make this box as a gift for HRH Prince William & Catherine Middleton.
The box is made from native sycamore and has 2 lift out trays. Each tray has been divided up into 12 sections and then covered in lamb nappa. On the front of the trays there is some inlay work which is an abstract crown and is made from polyester resin. The main box lid consists of 6 pieces of slip matched ripple sycamore running at an angle with the royal monogram in the middle, the monogram is made from dyed blue and boxwood veneers produced by Aryma Uk and has been sand shaded to add depth.
The lid border and escutcheon is made with black acetal, the lock strike plates where produced on my mill from brass and the hinges were produced to my specs.
Finished with 3 coats of blonde shellac followed by wax for a silky smooth finish.

WIP video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYNxxRo4Jvg

025.jpg

028.jpg

030.jpg

032-1.jpg

034-1.jpg

Cheers

Ian

Fascinating and beautiful. A real testament to your skill.

A hell of a way to serve Jammy Dodgers, though, eh? :D

Si.

LOL, thats uncanny I was thinking of those minty viscount biscuits-do you still get those ?

Anyhoo, exquisite craftsmanship, you must be very proud given who the recipients are =D>

Very elegant!

Some of the finest makers I know originate from Ireland, You've got some real talent over there!
Flying over to London next week to view "Collect' at the Saatchi gallery... There's a couple from Cork that's exhibiting a piece called "WinterTwenty10" one of my favorites!!!

Russ

That's fabulous absolutely stunning finishing and attention to detail - makes my cufflink box posted at the same time rather weedy and poor quality - however mine took 6 hours start to finish - bet yours was longer! (how long did it take out of interest??)
Brilliant job
Mark

Russ":2qcmirb6 said:
Very elegant!

Some of the finest makers I know originate from Ireland, You've got some real talent over there!

Its the potatoes.......and the Guinness you see......they have mytical powers! :lol:

Absolutely beautiful, modern contemporary box, I love it, especially the little abstract details, nice touch!

Admittedly it took me a while to figure out the 'C' part, I thought it was a 'K' he was marring, but I learned today! Thought you'd done one of these

will-and-kate-mug-fail-L-QoVpQ3.jpeg

:lol:

Interesting portraits on the mug....

Great box Ian, skilfully made. Also liked the video of the currency box too. Well done.

Back