Where these made with a scroll saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink Freud

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've never owned nor used a scroll saw before, but i have watched a few interesting videos. Now i may have a reason to get one :D I'm trying to renovate an old cast end bench which has some decorative detailing in the back rest. I'm trying to work out if these pieces were originally made on a scroll saw. To avoid clogging up the forums with duplicate pics i'll just link u to the pic in question from another thread.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/download/file.php?id=58330&mode=view

Can i get one? :D

thats cast iron with wooden inserts. The wood isnt that much of a complicated shape, it could easily be done with normal hand woodworking tools or a bandsaw.

I love my scroll saw, so any excuse to get one works for me but I'm afraid I'm with sunnybob, you could easily knock these out with a hand held jigsaw.

Phill

The cast iron looks really nice. I think the wooden parts were roughly chewed into shape by a crazed stoat.

If you can't find a stoat that's angry enough, a simple fretsaw would suffice.

Unless of course youre trying to justify buying a scroll saw. In which case it would be physically impossible to make those pieces any other way.

belt sander is a useful tool for that kind of thing.
g,won, you know you really want to buy one whatever we say (g)

sunnybob":9nbn0q44 said:
belt sander is a useful tool for that kind of thing.
g,won, you know you really want to buy one whatever we say (g)
lol ...all joking aside guys, do u think these pieces were indeed made on a scroll saw, with either a tilting table or arm?

Seriously, I doubt very much that they would have been cut using a scroll saw.

Both band saws and jigsaws have tilting options and could be used to make these.

Commercially I would expect them to be cut using a bandsaw as it would be quicker than a jig saw.

That makes sense for a manufacturer that is making lots but for a one of project a jig saw with the base set at the appropriate angle would do the same job.

Regards

Phill

Pink Freud":3q7v5ovw said:
...all joking aside guys, do u think these pieces were indeed made on a scroll saw, with either a tilting table or arm?
I very much doubt it.

The circumstances surrounding the sort of workshop that would be putting Benches of that weight and calibre together would be using robust equipment such as Bandsaws, Disk/Belt/Bobbin Sanders.
Something that is quick and unlikely to break or require attention during a days robust work.

CHJ":17jrimqh said:
Pink Freud":17jrimqh said:
...all joking aside guys, do u think these pieces were indeed made on a scroll saw, with either a tilting table or arm?
I very much doubt it.

The circumstances surrounding the sort of workshop that would be putting Benches of that weight and calibre together would be using robust equipment such as Bandsaws, Disk/Belt/Bobbin Sanders.
Something that is quick and unlikely to break or require attention during a days robust work.
Ok, i guess i walked right into that one :roll: So d'ya think i could perhaps reproduce these pieces on a scroll saw, if i was careful enough?

You could do it on a scroll saw in a couple days, or on a bandsaw in a half hour.

But fer gawds sake, just buy the scroll saw.

sunnybob":birmnwq3 said:
You could do it on a scroll saw in a couple days, or on a bandsaw in a half hour.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

sunnybob":3elmwngk said:

Nuff said :wink:

I have a hegner multicut. To do that for me would require about a half ton of wood, several months, and a lifetimes supply of beta blockers.

I just CAN NOT work a scroll saw. My brain just doesnt work in stuff that small.
my bandsaw though......mmmmmmmm.

Latest posts

Back