twisted Spalted Beech Footed Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This spalted Beech bowl was wet turned to 2 mil then dryed a week, so was difficult to get a good sanding due to the distortion.

The Beech was dripping when turning, and had some very soft rot areas, and some rock hard red area's ( that i'm told are termed Flame ? )

I also managed to hollow into the chucking spigot ! so i had to turn a foot for it to fit in. The foot is pitch pine, and sprit stained, sealed with gloss acrylic - then waxed to a shine.

10 inches across

Thanks for looking !

Loz

S7002633.jpg

S7002632.jpg

S7002631.jpg

S7002629.jpg

S7002634.jpg

Loz , sorry mate

It does nothing for me , shame really as you have put a lot of work into the project ,

However I do like the lower part of the foot , it almost looks like rope twist

I have seen many thin turned items at club meetings , show and craft fairs and they are all warped out of shape , and if for sale nothing sells as they look like they are faulty .

Does anyone know of a way to thin turn without all the distortion ?

Still Loz your a brave man for trying , thanks for showing us :wink:

It's a shame about the distortion, which imho puts a bit of downer on something that could have been really nice.

Maybe try slower or assisted drying next time? (eg microwave, PEG etc)

Nice one. IMHO. I did something similar for an "arty" friend of my daughter a few years ago, using a very ropy piece of elder, and she really liked the distorted shape.
Takes all sorts......

Thanks all.

The pics so make it seem more distorted than it actually is. A few days though and it might make Melvyn Fermagers vases look symetrical !!!

Thanks for the comments pro and con - still learning and trying new things.

Loz

The thin 'distorted' bowl works fine for me loz, think the piece would look better without the heavy looking base altogether, but there again it may look totally different viewed from normal perspective where I guess the base would be more or less obscured.

Is it done moving Loz ? ... do you think there may be a bit more 'twist' to come in it yet ?
I've not done much in the way of wet turning... but fancy doing so...
What's your view on a preference ? ... keen to do more 'green' ?
8) 8) :D

Jenx":3hnaoqb2 said:
Is it done moving Loz ? ... do you think there may be a bit more 'twist' to come in it yet ?
I've not done much in the way of wet turning... but fancy doing so...
What's your view on a preference ? ... keen to do more 'green' ?
8) 8) :D

Seems to have stopped over the weekend, then i resanded by hand with wetndry and oil. Nice finish now.

Im going to rephoto, as those above look nothing like the piece in the hand.

As for wet - not a fan yet. Was fun making big long ribbons ! It might grow on me

Loz

I have come back to look at this a few times before commenting Loz, because I wasn't sure at first whether I liked it or not. After careful consideration I think it has a rather quirky appeal and unlike some others I think the foot works quite well.

Walter

Hi Loz, great effort not all that bad looking,I like the natural look and it will probley change some more dont give up on it yet REgards Boysie
PS Glenn has Ciaran Forbes & Liam Flynn first weekend in Sept. only a few tickets left.By the way Blister will be over for it hope you can make it.Will give me a first oppertunity to wear the forum badge.

Back