Tormek T4 or is it overkill for my needs?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It also depends on how often you need to sharpen? I have always used a diamond stone followed by whetstones but then again I probably sharpen no more than once a month and it only takes me 20 mins in total for all my most used chisels.

One of these would be nice ...
http://www.lathes.co.uk/viceroy-sharpedge/
For many years my only workshop tool grinder was home-made. It had a wooden pedestal stand, two 6" white wheels on a shaft - one straight and one half-round - adjustable rests with brass faces, and a water drip that could be placed over either wheel. The motor was from an old twin tub washing machine, 1400rpm, pulleyed to give a wheel speed of about 1150. There was a tray beneath the wheels with a drain to a bucket.

I made a lot of spindle cutters over time, finished on that grinder, for both that masterpiece of versatility the Whitehill, and also Euro blocks. It was invaluable, for instance, to be able to precisely match a moulding cutter for the spindle with a scribing cutter for the spindle or tenoner.

One of these would be nice ...
http://www.lathes.co.uk/viceroy-sharpedge/
For many years my only workshop tool grinder was home-made. It had a wooden pedestal stand, two 6" white wheels on a shaft - one straight and one half-round - adjustable rests with brass faces, and a water drip that could be placed over either wheel. The motor was from an old twin tub washing machine, 1400rpm, pulleyed to give a wheel speed of about 1150. There was a tray beneath the wheels with a drain to a bucket.

I made a lot of spindle cutters over time, finished on that grinder, for both that masterpiece of versatility the Whitehill, and also Euro blocks. It was invaluable, for instance, to be able to precisely match a moulding cutter for the spindle with a scribing cutter for the spindle or tenoner.
Those things are great.
Take up a lot of room though.

Ollie

Back