Thicknesser question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rajiv

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

A Thicknesser is one tool I don’t have. There has been need of it from time to time and I keep putting it off. Recently I made—not finished yet—a holder for a pencil, sharpener and rubber. I did not check the wood for flatness as I had bought planed wood—should have checked!

Anyway there is a slight bow nothing serious. This has now got me thinking more about a Thicknesser , used in combination with an electric plane to create flat edges and then get the rough sawn wood to the required thickness with the thickness planer.

My shop is tiny—quarter of a garage in terms of useable space or go outside. Any recommendations for a lunch box Thicknesser—as it’s going to be the smallest. From what I can see—they all look like similar machines with slight variations. Should I buy the cheapest? I’m not going to be using it every day.

Thank you

Last edited:
If you're only dealing with small pieces of wood you could consider making a thicknesser out of your electric planer - I'm sure there'll be some examples on YouTube.

Hello,

A Thicknesser is one tool I don’t have. There has been need of it from time to time and I keep putting it off. Recently I made—not finished yet—a holder for a pencil, sharpener and rubber. I did not check the wood for flatness as I had bought planed wood—should have checked!

Anyway there is a slight bow nothing serious. This has now got me thinking more about a Thicknesser , used in combination with an electric plane to create flat edges and then get the rough sawn wood to the required thickness with the thickness planer.

My shop is tiny—quarter of a garage in terms of useable space or go outside. Any recommendations for a lunch box Thicknesser—as it’s going to be the smallest. From what I can see—they all look like similar machines with slight variations. Should I buy the cheapest? I’m not going to be using it every day.

Thank you
Rajiv, if your board is not flat, you need a jointer, not a thicknesser. A thicknesser follows the jointer.

In such a small space, consider using hand planes. Plane one side flat, mark the thickness, and plane to the marks.

Regards from Perth

Derek

If you're only dealing with small pieces of wood you could consider making a thicknesser out of your electric planer - I'm sure there'll be some examples on YouTube.
I think that‘s what I should do. My planer is battery powered but I see ScrewFix have a Makita mains powered planer for £80—seems good value to me for this kind of project. Thank you!

Rajiv, if your board is not flat, you need a jointer, not a thicknesser. A thicknesser follows the jointer.

In such a small space, consider using hand planes. Plane one side flat, mark the thickness, and plane to the marks.

Regards from Perth

Derek
That’s correct Derek—I was just thinking ahead. Instead of buying finished boards, I would buy rough sawn boards and do the planing and thickness of the board myself.

But then what you suggest might be the way to go as well since I‘m not using large timber. Planing it flat with the planer and then planing it to the correct thickness—as long as I don’t have to do too many repeats.

Best wishes
rajiv

I also have a tiny shop - 6x8 shed. I keep all machines on units with castors to make best use of the space, and often wheel things outside for working with larger pieces. For the P/T I made a unit to contain a small HVLP extractor (it needs the end door open when in use for the dust bag), and a cupboard for random storage.

I had the cheap titan P/T for a while from screwfix. It was fine for occasional use, does need the fence replacing though.

I replaced it this year with a Kity 636 which is a small combination machine, really pleased with it. They do a smaller model the 635 if needed.

The 636 goes for about £200-350 used, and I picked up the extractor (neccesary!!) for £50.

Attachments

• F2FA6ABE-34CA-4401-BF39-84C64B534F82.jpeg
    F2FA6ABE-34CA-4401-BF39-84C64B534F82.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 061A5BA9-E0E9-4827-AD48-DB168EB91F70.jpeg
    061A5BA9-E0E9-4827-AD48-DB168EB91F70.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I also have a tiny shop - 6x8 shed. I keep all machines on units with castors to make best use of the space, and often wheel things outside for working with larger pieces. For the P/T I made a unit to contain a small HVLP extractor (it needs the end door open when in use for the dust bag), and a cupboard for random storage.

I had the cheap titan P/T for a while from screwfix. It was fine for occasional use, does need the fence replacing though.

I replaced it this year with a Kity 636 which is a small combination machine, really pleased with it. They do a smaller model the 635 if needed.

The 636 goes for about £200-350 used, and I picked up the extractor (neccesary!!) for £50.
There is nothing stopping me redoing the workshop part so that I have a large mobile unit acting as a workbench and storage unit. It means spending more time and money on materials to make the workbench/storage unit. That would be an interesting challenge in my already small workspace.

Ultimately I have to ask myself if it will bring any benefits to what I already have—food for thought!

Thank you.

For tiny stuff like that a good sharp hand plane should be enough to flatten it.
As mentionned a thicknesser will not straighten out the surface only make the second surface parallel with the first. So you would need a planer/thicknesser combo really. Plane one face and one edge square then thickness.

Olie

I have the Titan Planer/Thicknesser which i bought used for about £130.
Very compact and sits under my bench until i want to use it, then i just lift it out and put it on my bench.
Its quite heavy, but any able bodied adult should be able to lift it ok.

My work space is literally my small bench of about 6' x 2.5'.
My bench saw has to be dragged outside to use it.

I have an Elu ADE 80 thicknesser attachment for an electric plane which is good. Unfortunately, I have lost the fence and the set up plate, so if anyone has either of these parts I would be intersted, or if someone knows where I might buy the spare, that would be good as well.

Thank you for this—seems like a great buy. My small space would struggle with having this. I have been working on a solution to my problems over the last few weeks. I’ll post more about it later.

I've got the Makita 2012. No complaints.
As others have touched on, you also need either a jointer or a table saw to machine your stock. The thicknesser alone wont really do.

Latest posts

Back