Table Saw Jig or Lathe Jig??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiritburner

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anybody seen these before and any thoughts on it, please?

Is there any correlation between the push speed, the speed of the screwdriver/drill and the speed of the saw I could easily see a mechanised version very easily using a Nema 23 and an SMCO1 stepper controller to take the place of the electric drill and if you wanted to, you could go the whole hog and mechanise the whole thing but doing the first bit would get your fingers and hands away from the blade

Thoughts Please?

Using a Jig instead of a Lathe ? 3x3 Custom Youtube

Full build video here. 3X3 Custom

I dont like the idea of putting sideways force on the tablesaw blade. Too much depth of cut and or feed rate then big bang and and chunks of wood and metal flying about. The jig itself is not that different from a router lathe which I think would be a better option. A wood lathe would be better still.
Regards
John

Make it a 1 1/2 axis powered setup and you do not need to put any sideways force on the blade.

Drive it through the blade, return to the beginning, index 2 degrees on the rotary axis, repeat 180 times.

Set it to continuous rotation and push it through manually just once as a finish pass.

The feed axis would not necessarily need a stepper: a reversable motor with microswitches would do it.

I dont like the idea of putting sideways force on the tablesaw blade. Too much depth of cut and or feed rate then big bang and and chunks of wood and metal flying about. The jig itself is not that different from a router lathe which I think would be a better option. A wood lathe would be better still.
Regards
John
Like you, I'm not a fan of this process but as many times as I've seen it done, she does it the best, safest, that I've seen.

Latest posts

Back