Swirl marks??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victorthesecond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm just getting to the end of making chopping boards from a slab of cherry wood. It's a good job I don't mind sanding!

Anyway, I've followed advice from you kind people plus a few YouTube tips and have just sanded the final time with 240grit paper on a Bosch random orbit sander. I took my time over this - just used enough pressure to stop the machine wandering around, followed the grain, and moved at around 1" a minute. All looked well until I sprayed the board with water to raise fibres for a final sanding.

I can;t figure out if there are swirl marks or if the water is just enhancing in some way the grain of the wood. Hopefully, the attached photo will show what I mean!

If they are swirl marks, I can either cry or ask for your advice on what I should do to try and make things better!

Attachments

• PXL_20231204_114753564.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231204_114753564.MP.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
Like the others say its just the figured grain of that nice bit of wood. I could not see any sander swirls on the picture. That said I am old school and usually like to finish off sanding by hand when I get past 240g.
Regards
John

Cherry is really difficult to stain btw because it goes blotchy because of this chatoyance.
Yeah, I'm finding that! It's my first effort at making cutting boards.. . Next time, I'll try and get maple I think. Little secret.... We were visiting our son in Tennessee,USA and he and I visited a lumber mill. I bought a 6' cherry slab for $60 and the mill cut it into suitcase size pieces for me. So, I have enough for 4 boards. That's Christmas sorted!!

Back