Still an amateur - door fitting advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before you start ripping things out and to reiterate what I said earlier look at the casing (cupboard?) in the middle.

The door on that cupboard opens into the hallway, the others open into the rooms, this means the rebate on the cupboard casing is on the hallway side but the others have the rebate on the room side. To keep the architraves the same level and the margins the same on the hall side you would need to drop the cupboard casing down or pack the top down as suggested. The problem with this is the cupboard door is then lower than the others so the panels, handles etc on that door won't line up with the other doors. You can see on the photo the architrave was originally higher above the cupboard door for this reason.

If you use flat linings with a lath planted on to form the rebate you don't have this problem as you can just run all the tops in line.

All valid stuff but I wouldn't bother about the offsets (margins) - I'd just equalise all the doors and equalise all the architraves ... it would look pretty tidy like that.

Put the archs on. Set the tops level - this will be what the eye sees - the contrast colour line to the wall. No-one will notice the heads are out of line.

Back