Sheffield steel - Thomas Firth, 1900

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I meant to post this ages ago, but forgot about it. I came across it again today and thought I'd share it.
It's an album of photos, presumably produced to hand out to potential customers, showing the activities of Thomas Firth and Sons, in 1900.

I think it's fascinating in several ways. It illustrates steel making in bulk - just think of the muscle power needed to pile this lot up:

BookReaderImages.php

There are some rather posed pictures of the workers

BookReaderImages.php

and sometimes the men in smart suits are visible too:

BookReaderImages.php

There are lots of pictures of what were presumably technically impressive castings, and grim views of rows of explosive shells.

Some of the photos are beautifully lit and shot, aside from their interesting subject matter, such as this one:

BookReaderImages.php

or this, which I think is especially poignant - what a tedious life it must have been for the young lad in the apron, under the beady eye of his supervisors:

BookReaderImages.php

So do have a look at the whole thing. Start here and follow the links to read online or download for free in the format of your choice:

https://openlibrary.org/books/OL710...s_limited_Norfolk_works_Sheffield_England_...

Fascinating stuff!

Should anybody want to further the study, track down a copy of 'Sheffield Steel' by K.C.Barraclough. It photographically documents the process of importing Swedish bar iron, converting it in Cementation furnaces, refining it to Crucible Steel, then some of the applications such as toolmaking, cutlery, heavy forging, rolling and wire-drawing.

It's amazing how primitive the processes were up until WW1.

AndyT":mseavh1k said:
just think of the muscle power needed to pile this lot up:
BookReaderImages.php

It's staggering. It wasn't till I looked at the full-size image I realised the "dry stone walls" in the background were actually stacks of pig iron.

Is that wrought iron in the foreground, do you think? Did they supply blacksmiths?

There's also an oil can (foreground, right) and roller trestles. I really wouldn't have wanted to be the guy working the handcart!

E.

Eric, the introduction provides some more info on the processes but as far as I've understood it, they imported Swedish iron in bar form, heated it in cementation furnaces to make blister steel, then melted that in crucibles, to make ingots of cast steel.

There's a good Time Team special on YouTube called Steel City where they attempt to reproduce the process, with limited success.

CC, thanks for the tip. I've ordered a copy of the book you recommended.

Latest posts

Back