Series 3: Britain's Best Woodworker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point was more the other two had quadrilateral tops and would fit better into a square room with fixed width worktops (i.e. like 99.9% of actual kitchens)

The weird angular one would have loads of space around some parts of some sides and very little where the points were (and that's asking to catch you as you walk past), unless you ensure the pointy bits have plenty of room around them in which case you have masses of space around the non-pointy bits (i.e. not an efficient use of floor space).

At least with the winners one you could pull chairs up to and use like a table as well as a work surface...

My point was more the other two had quadrilateral tops and would fit better into a square room with fixed width worktops (i.e. like 99.9% of actual kitchens)

The weird angular one would have loads of space around some parts of some sides and very little where the points were (and that's asking to catch you as you walk past), unless you ensure the pointy bits have plenty of room around them in which case you have masses of space around the non-pointy bits (i.e. not an efficient use of floor space).

At least with the winners one you could pull chairs up to and use like a table as well as a work surface...
A world of rectilinear utility would be a bit bland though- and their brief will have been to make a statement piece

I am not sure that the brief was looking to cater for the need in 99.9% of actual kitchens - or they would all have made a box with a rectangular top...
There are plenty of houses out there where there is the space to have awesome counters - so it makes total sense to give them brief which needs creativity rather than build an MDF box ;)

some examples which make theirs look normal!

unusual-kitchen-design09-640x456.jpg

unusual-kitchen-design11-640x439.jpg

unusual-kitchen-design15-640x352.jpg

unusual-kitchen-design0861-640x494.jpg

I agree that Nathanael's was the best made but I would hate to try to keep that clean on a kitchen that gets used for cooking! Imagine what would collect in all those gaps between the cladding strips.

Not knocking it but I lost interest in Britain's best Woodworker... etc

OTOH have watched Make it at Market a few times and it's always interesting with already fairly skilled people trying seriously to sell their stuff and getting good craft advice from already successful crafts people.
Different crafts with surprisingly similar problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not knocking it but I lost interest in Britain's best Woodworker... etc

OTOH have watched Make it at Market a few times and it's always interesting with already fairly skilled people trying seriously to sell their stuff and getting good craft advice from already successful crafts people.
Different crafts with surprisingly similar problems.
The stone carver on the programme last night was imho particularly talented. Good to see it was recognised at the end when he received two large orders that will keep him busy for two years.

Latest posts

Back