Sequoia Waterfall Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MF1000

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
After my recent trip to a wood supplier in Stafford I acquired a large piece of Sequoia

IMG_1292.jpeg

After assessing it I ran my circular saw across it to separate the piece into a top section and a longer narrow piece that would form the waterfall leg and leave around an 800 mm length for another traditional table.

IMG_1296.jpeg

After this I milled the slabs flat and filled the cracks around the knots with acrylic.

Yesterday I went over to a friends workshop ….him & his dad run a fitted bedroom business, and trimmed off some of the poorer edges and created the 45 deg cuts for the waterfall. Kieron has a fantastic sliding carriage table saw which made easy work if the joint.

This morning I set about the top section with my beast of belt sander (Wolfcraft) levelling off the acrylic and working down to 240 grit prior to a wipe over with my tung oil/varnish/white spirit mix.

IMG_1330.jpeg
IMG_1329.jpeg

Looks good but the sequoia does show sanding marks easily…..lots more sanding to do to remove the ones revealed by the quick wipe over.

Been working on the table over the past couple of weekends and yesterday completed the waterfall IMG_1342.jpeg

The other leg is a x shape in black powder coated steel ….has a hole through the centre so I thickness down a length of spalted ash with a live edge to use as a rail which will be recessed into the back of the waterfall.

IMG_1340.jpeg
Once trimmed down it will have a dummy pegged joint on the end

I also collected the two other slabs this morning 😁

IMG_1343.jpeg

A mate is having one set

Excellent grain continuity through the waterfall and lovely colours. What is sequoia like to work with?
Have you put any strengthening splines/biscuits/dominoes in the joint?

Sequoia is lighter than it looks. Cuts and machines well but is quite soft so you have to be carefull with course abrasives …my 80 grit belt sander use to smooth out the inevitable router cutter marks left an occasional deep score line.

There are 3 biscuits in the joint which of course is stabilised greatly by the stretcher from the steel leg.

After a few hrs work in the nice sunshine yesterday morning …IMG_1348.jpeg

bracing rail of spalted sycamore now fully installed

IMG_1349.jpeg
Pegged at the steel leg und with a 19mm beech peg
IMG_1350.jpeg

Just sanding / surface treating down to 2000 grit to do now …here it is at 240 grit and two coats on my home brew finish

IMG_1351.jpeg

It’s a larger coffee table at 1300 x 600 mm

Last edited:
Great looking bit of wood. Is it fairly hard or soft ? Never used any but I love the look of it.

The sapwood is relatively soft so you have to handle it carefully and the heartwood can scratch easily from poor sanding techniques…..but it’s more than compensated for by the grain/knot structure and the ripples revealed by good sanding and surface finishing.

The bottom speaker is for bass only…up to 140 Hz ….500mm thick with an 18” studio monitor driver ….that itself weighs 20 Kg - operates from 20hz upwards . Whole speaker weighs 140 Kg 😱😱

Back