rubio monocoat for Valchromat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrbff

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to make myself an MFT type workbench top in coloured water resistant MDF, Fibralux MR black, it appears to be similar to Valchromat.
I have to buy quite a large sheet, 3050x1220 mm, so I was considering making a desktop for my son who has just started senior school.
Would Rubio monocoat be a good finish? I would like to stay away from spraying if at all possible but would like good smooth edges and minimal change in appearance, not gloss.

No need for anything fancy. 2parts satin PU - 1 part white spirit. gives a good low build protective coating. 2-3 coats de-nibbing between with a blunt bit of 320 grit

Finishes are somewhat different here and there are literally thousands of brands. It may be difficult to know what is good. They seem to define finishes by whether they are water or solvent based.

I used Finsa Fibracolour in Anthracite for my benches and finished them in Liberon black bison paste wax. When I made my MFT top I preferred the finish from their finishing oil, and it’s held up better over time too. Best left overnight to soak in though, and needs a couple of coats. Never used Rubio so can‘t compare. Just FYI Fibracolour comes in larger sheets - 2850 x 2100 - except for black, which is regular 2440 x 1220. HTH P

I used Finsa Fibracolour in Anthracite for my benches and finished them in Liberon black bison paste wax. When I made my MFT top I preferred the finish from their finishing oil, and it’s held up better over time too. Best left overnight to soak in though, and needs a couple of coats. Never used Rubio so can‘t compare. Just FYI Fibracolour comes in larger sheets - 2850 x 2100 - except for black, which is regular 2440 x 1220. HTH P
Board sizes here are very rarely 8'x4'. Usually much bigger and every type of board can be different.

Latest posts

Back