Proposed workshop build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but unless you are 100% confident you are within the planing rules then it can be better to just get their input as it only takes a complaint from a neighbour and they will turn up anyway. Also apart from area and max height don't overlook the fact it cannot occupy more than 50% of the ground around the property, I knew someone who fell foul of that one and it was all to obvious.

Last edited:
The company delivering my concrete have suggested Gen3 for my raft, is this suitable considering at least 50mm will be left exposed. I've read that it's not suited to being left to the elements, any opinions or advice welcome.

GEN3 Applications​

Typically GEN3 concrete is used for:

• Foundations
  • Walls and house extensions
  • Paving
  • Shed & Garage Foundations/flooring (without steel reinforcement)
  • Mass concrete fill
  • Trench fill
  • Under paving for patios
Please note - GEN3 should not be used externally unless it is completely covered or encased.

Concrete Strength​

28 Day Strength / 20N

Thanks Paul, c25 then? The problem with c25 and c35 is they say its not suited to power floating, is that the same as using a vibrating screeder?

Last edited:
DomP, You can power float and screed either but do not use a vibrating poker. I hired a power screed that reached across the 4.8 m so I could reference off the top of the shuttering (scaffold boards) - this allowed me to obtain a flat concrete surface to within +/_ 3mm. How is the concrete being delivered - pump or barrow?

DomP, You can power float and screed either but do not use a vibrating poker. I hired a power screed that reached across the 4.8 m so I could reference off the top of the shuttering (scaffold boards) - this allowed me to obtain a flat concrete surface to within +/_ 3mm. How is the concrete being delivered - pump or barrow?
It's being pumped Dave, I've read about different grades and now have no idea which I should use

Concrete is not as simple as it seems and a quick online read probably isn't that helpful. I'd get back to the supplier (who probably does know what they're talking about) and ask them why they specced gen 3 and what your concerns are.

I’ve built a workshop that’s 140m2 under permitted development. A shed without submitting plans has a certain size constraint, but if you submit your plans you can have almost what ever you want (there are some rules). The permitted development means that it will be approved, but they in essence check that you arn’t breaking the rules.

I would think you want to paint it with a sealer, to stop water getting into the concrete and cracking it? Something like a bituminous paint for instance. Or a exterior brick paint?

Latest posts

Back